• 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Novice

Remote Management Fail - WNDR4500

Can't access my router outside of my LAN, another words have tried from work, tried my IPhone on the Verizon network. Nothing.

Can't access server.

The router sits behind a Comcast cable modem. When I try to access from work, we obviously have firewalls.

Should be able to access through the IPhone though, it's off the Verizon network.

Yes, I enabled remote management on the router, can access from everyone.

I used the WAN IP address plus :8080

What am I doing wrong?
Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Remote Management Fail - WNDR4500

what is the model of cable modem
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 15
Highlighted
Apprentice

Dude, when you enable remote management, it gives you the link that you should use; I don't think the port # is 8080.

https://ipaddress:8443

Check it out again.

R
Message 3 of 15
Highlighted
Novice

The modem is Motorola SB5120

Dude, tried wan IP address:8443 nothing. Then changed the port to 8080 as it is standard and still nothing.
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

If you verify the correct port and if you have SB5120 ( straight modem) then should able to access it .

Only problem is you will see you may not able to ping the WAN IP. Comcast residential has changed.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same issue, hasn't been resolved and Netgear support sucks! 

Message 6 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Wexler What's the exact model number and version of your router?

What's the firmware version? Do you have the latest firmware version?

Are you getting any error message?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don't have the serial in front of me right now and I wouldn't post that information on this forum. Though I'm working with WNDR4500 with the latest firmware and no errors are displayed at all. I reset to factory settings and ran through all the configurations Netgear help pages offer. The truth is, I'm definitely not willing to pay for more support, and when I was able to contact support months ago, they weren't able to solve my problem, they blamed it on my modem. I have a new modem, and the issues persist. I feel like I was robbed by Netgear and then you guys closed the door so I couldn't return for help. I'm thoroughly disappointed, and I guarantee I'm not the only one.

Message 8 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What browser you are using?

Have you tried using a different browser?

I have forwarded this to our engineering department.

Will give you an update as soon as I have a response.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I haven't heard back about this. I use Safari ,Chrome, Firefox. All give me the same issue. The connection times out. Is it possible my router is defective? Is this not a common issue? I also experoence a sort of FTP blocking, where the router decides to stop allowing incoming FTP connections after a bit (day or two).

Message 10 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I made a follow-up with our engineering team about the remote management connection.

Just out of curiousity, have you tried using IE when you remotely access the page of the router?

How do you access your FTP? Are you using WAN IP to reach it or a domain name?

Do you access it locally or remotely?

How many are connected to the FTP? Is it disconnecting because there are simultaneous users connected or it does not matter at all?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I haven't tried on IE. With FTP I could connect locally and through WAN for a short period of time. Then it suddenly locks up randomly and stays blocking my connection. I will access it locally nad remotely, but they are both unreliable. Only one or two at most is FTP conencted at a time.

Message 12 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What FTP server you're running?

I have enabled FTP for the ReadySHARE and can't replicate it on my end.
I can access my FTP ReadySHARE either by LAN or remote connection.

Have you tried re-flashing the firmware?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm running QNAP NAS. But its definitely a router issue. Since Remote Conenction does not work, and that is set up correctly. And I was able to FTP to my server for a day or two, but it cuts out as mentioned in previous posts. I think this issue would actually be resolved if someone from Netgear could look at my environment and determine whats wrong isntead of an inefficient back and forth exchange on this forum. I believe you that your FTP connection to ReadyShare works (which by the way, don't get me started about ReadyShare, which is the reason I am using QNAP now, since ReadyShare never worked for me and destroyed one of my external drives because of constantly disconnecting.)

All I want now is to get my router to a working state so I can access it remotely and FTP to my server. Any actual tips or help? I reflashed the firmware, no help there...

Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly check your inbox.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 15 of 15