× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove custom firmware

SullyMan95
Aspirant

Remove custom firmware

I have a Netgear router that someone has loaded a custom firmware on. They also removed the lable on the bottom that had all of the product information (serial #, model #, default logins, .ECT). All I have is a MAC address. I have tried to reset the router with it's button and flash the factory firmware with TFTP2.exe and it fails. Any hope at "un-bricking" it?
Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Remove custom firmware

Your best bet? 

Go to the forum with the type of firmware is loaded on it and check about how to remove their firmware to run stock firmware. 

Or use the custom firmware. Sometimes its actually decent and works. 

Message 2 of 5
SullyMan95
Aspirant

I will have to look into that, but I'm not expecting it to work as I believe the firmware is from a remote management company that does not provide public software/firmware access
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

That doesn't tell us a whole lot. 

Message 4 of 5

@SullyMan95 wrote:
I have tried to reset the router with it's button and flash the factory firmware with TFTP2.exe and it fails.

Very old school. Why faff around with third party software when Windows can do the job?

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to enable TFTP on a Windows PC.

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7