× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reset Password Reset the device and still not working

Network-unknown
Follower

Reset Password Reset the device and still not working

First to start I am as confused as possible and sadly so are the rest of my family and I have more knowledge then the rest so here goes and it's not much.

We have Internet from Optimum with our router as part of our TV box now,  We also have in another room a old time capsule that is connected via a ethernet wire running through the basement.... (that time capsule while old, has a better signal that the Optimum gives and also better than 1gb Fios did when we had that but, that's another story).

As everyone is working from home and we now have cameras galore, the home operating on wifi everything and the children needing obscene speeds for whatever gaming. They all wanted this lovely mesh router upstairs to stop the little lag.

So we happily purchased Orbi.  Well Orbi we set up but, nobody ever connected to it I found out but me.  Seems I gave them instructions and they couldn't do it.   I guess I had been away and nobody remembered to tell me that it wasn't working?   I tried and guess what something wasn't working for them even with direct ethernet link right to my sons room.  Orbi is literally upstairs in the hallway outside his room from the TV router so not sure why.  The other strange thing is I noticed it was showing as a PUBLIC Network and not a private network and no way would I have set it up as a public network.  

Now big problem starts is the password I set up and I'm positive was right is not working for the device any longer.  So I put the pin in it to reset it.  Still not reset,  I find the original box, it's not the default password, it's not the one that came with the box, not the one I set up.  We do the pin again, nothing.

I reset my password even with Netgear.  I reset the entire device set up.  Now I can't get into the device at all.  It won't even connect.

I do get Orbi wants to join wi-fi Network Orbi29  but  when I try it says ensure Local connection is enabled and then  unable to join the network Orbi29  or  It says Orbi Not Found,

Goto setting>WiFi and join your router's WiFi  ,  When it wants that...   does it want the main wifi of optimum?  That I can connect to.  If I attempt to connect to Orbi's it says I have wrong password.  Should I try to remove Orbi that exists there, could that be the issue?

Sorry as I know I'm probably confusing this.

Thanks for any assistance.

Oh on another note.  Do I leave my time capsule as it's own network apart of the Orbi one or is this whole mesh idea putting it all together in 1?

Message 1 of 2

Re: Reset Password Reset the device and still not working

It is very difficult to follow your message. Lot of things we don't need to know at this stage, but key details that make it hard to interpret.

@Network-unknown wrote:

We have Internet from Optimum with our router as part of our TV box now,  We also have in another room a old time capsule that is connected via a ethernet wire running through the basement....

I assume that Optimum is the Internet service provider. But what is "our router"? Is that the modem that connects you to Optimum? If it really is a router or modem/router, and not just a modem, you may be trying to get two routers to work together. That is not easy, even for experts, and is not recommended.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

And what is this "old time capsule"? Another piece of network hardware? What is it supposed to do?

Next we come to this bit:

So we happily purchased Orbi. 

Which Orbi? There are dozens of them out there.

How is it connected to your network?

Your answers to the first questions – about the exact nature of the hardware you own – may be the key to all your troubles.

Get that sorted out and everything else may fall in to place.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7