Re: Right speed selection

Rhyalus
Apprentice

Right speed selection

Hello All,

I have an N900 working in my home office with both 2.4 and 5 Ghz set to 450MPS, and it has been working great since I bought it.

I am not going to buy one for my office which is in a much more crowded signal space. There are several offices with wireless routers.

Somehow I remember reading that if the 2.4 is left at 450, that this can cause interference to other networks. Does anyone have a link for me so that I can go back and investigate this?

Thanks,
R
Message 1 of 6
MisterNivek
Novice

Well on my WNR3500 it's right in the help file, that the 300 speed will cause this issue. I have the 4500 but took it out due to an issue streaming videos on my xbox live. I want to say it was in the help file too on the 4500. I don't like the new help location on the 4500 where it's at the bottom and you have to click the up arrow and it only opens a small window.

I like the Genie int that you don't have to use the wizard which is a plus.

But the genie is a bad design too. Sadly, I will be returning my 4500. Otherwise it's a good device.
Message 2 of 6
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Why are you returning it?

R
Message 3 of 6
MisterNivek
Novice

Because it won't stream videon on Xbox live without lagging or constantly buffering. my 3500 doesn't have this issu. Too bad because it was a great device. I returned it. It doesn' have the best 2.4 radio. The 5 radio is great and rock solid. Another con is it's based off the Broadcom chipset, which historically sucks. So I was thinking about getting the 3800 until I saw the Cisco EA4500 at Best Buy. I decided to give Cisco another chance, read some reviews and it's based on the Marvell chipsset, so I had high hops and AWESOME. I love Cisco again. It's been years since I've used Cisco. That makes 2 products I have used a long time ago and back to using again. The other going from McAfee back to Norton again.

Don't get me wrong, the 4500 is a great device but they need to go back to marvel or Atheros chipset. Surprisingly, my netgear adapter works quite well with the router. First thing I did when I got home was configure, update and stream video to my xbox. AWESOME.

the other issue i had was my android phone connecting. I will see how that goes. On the WNDR 4500, it would connect but wouldn't browse until I power cycled my phone. Again, my 3500 didn't have that issue.
Message 4 of 6
onebyside
Novice

My android SGS2 has absolutely no problem connecting and staying connected with either 2.4/5 bands. My Asus Prime tablet is rock solid with 2.4 wifi aswell.
Message 5 of 6
MisterNivek
Novice

onebyside wrote:
My android SGS2 has absolutely no problem connecting and staying connected with either 2.4/5 bands. My Asus Prime tablet is rock solid with 2.4 wifi aswell.

I will expand. My droid connects fine and will even browse. However, when I don't use the wireless shut it off, so I reconnect/disconnect. Usually around the 2nd or 3rd time when I connect or in a day or 2, I can still connect but then can't browse. Can't send/receive e-mail. My other pc that is hardwired and other pc that has a wireless netgear bridge, connect just fine. then when I power off my android and power it back on, I can browse after connecting. I did not have that problem on my Netgear 3500 or my new Cisco EA4500, only the wndr 4500.

Regarding xbox live, I couldn't stream video without stuttering. i didn't want to get a new adapter for the xbox as that would defeat the whole puprose of having integrate wireless. Didn't have that issue on my old netgear and don't have it on my new Cisco.

Too bad, I really wanted the WNDR 4500 but in the end it stunk. It is mostly because of the broadcom chipset they use. If they went back to marvell, like the cisco, i think it would be rock solid. However, I think the broadcom do better with the 5gh radio than the 2.4 and the marvels are the opposite. Unfortuntely, I"m pretty much all 2.4 right now. I plan to move to 5, but I don't want to drop down all that money at once and Xbox Live, connections, speed are all important to me. My netgear bridge, actually is working better on my new cisco than my netgears, which is surprising.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements