× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Advice

KrazyBrute
Follower

Router Advice

Hi, I currently have one of the latest BT routers and im looking for some advice if anyone on here has any ideas on the issues on having. I am thinking to buy a new router which will be better quality but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the below.

My home network is not really your standard sized home network, from the main router there is roughly 30 connected devices at any given time. We have a CCTV system which is  connected to the WiFi and so many of the 3 devices are cameras. 

We also have 2 wireless AP's each with their own unique SSID. 

The issue we have is that when everything is connected, the internet can often drop out but when I unplug e.g. the CCTV from the network it stops dropping out completely. I have also thought it often appears to drop out as soon as a device starts being used. E.g. A computer turns on in the house. 

I've had BT come out and they cant find any issues with the line just to check that. Looking on the router manual a disconnection should cause the light to go orange/pink however when it drops out for us it goes green which the manual says it should do that when its initially starting up. This makes me think the router can't handle all the connected devices and crashes then reboots. Would anyone agree?

I have had a look online and I can't find anything such as a "Maximum simultaneous connected device limit", the only thing I can think is maybe the router is poor quality and I'll need to buy a higher spec router?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2

Re: Router Advice

@KrazyBrute wrote:

Hi, I currently have one of the latest BT routers and im looking for some advice if anyone on here has any ideas on the issues on having. I am thinking to buy a new router which will be better quality but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the below.

The first challenge is the BT router. I don't know what "the latest" version is. I have used two earlier versions. Some still sit in shrink wrapped boxes.

Nor do we know what sort of Internet you get. My BT boxes are DSL modem/routers. These suffer from a major defect. BT makes it impossible to put them into bridge (modem only) mode. so you have to faff around with exotic network settings to get them to work with another router.

We also have 2 wireless AP's each with their own unique SSID. 

Not knowing what these APs are, and as none of this seems to be related to any Netgear hardware, it is anybody's guess as to what is happening at your end.

I have had a look online and I can't find anything such as a "Maximum simultaneous connected device limit", the only thing I can think is maybe the router is poor quality and I'll need to buy a higher spec router?

The BT router will be the culprit there. That is best discussed over ion the BT self help community. I have found that to be pretty good in the past. People there know their stiff, especially with BT hardware.

As to "higher spec" that could mean anything. I'd look for the right wifi technology to support your wifi clients.

How many clients can you connect wirelessly to a NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How many devices can my Orbi system support? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

When it comes to choosing Netgear devices, it is a good idea to start on the product pages.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7