Router Dead?

DGalt
Aspirant

Router Dead?

I've had this router (Netgear WNDR3700 N600 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router) for maybe 4 months. Haven't had any real issues with it, but I woke up this morning with it basically dead. It still has power (power light is on), but everything else isn't working (all other lights are off, no wireless or wired connections are working). Powercycling didn't fix it.

Is there anything else I should try before contacting Netgear?
Message 1 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

Re: Router Dead?

Edit (I don't see an edit option anywhere): The power light isn't green (more of an orange color). Not sure if that matters
Message 2 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

Edit 2: Ok so I read the manual (/facepalm). Amber light is obviously bad. Factory reset didn't fix it either.

Time to contact netgear?
Message 3 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

hard reset the router and unit does not respond , contact support at my.netgear.com or call for RMA replacement
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

I assume by hard reset you mean "restore to factory settings"? (just to be certain...that's what I've already tried)
Message 5 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

then call support for RMA
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 16
jlewter
Guide

It sounds dead, or even possibly a bad firmware flash.

RMA or back to retailer if they'll take it.
Message 7 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

So I got my replacement router today, and lo-and-behold it's DOA. Well, not quite DOA. It powered up once, but when I went to power cycle it it no longer turns on. Yes I checked the power supply, yes the power button is "On." If I turn the power button on and off the "Internet" LED flashes amber once very quickly, but that's it. No power light, nothing....

I'm going to be beyond pissed if they charge me AGAIN to ship now the broken one they sent me back to them...
Message 8 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

Tried factor reset as well...no go
Message 9 of 16
evlnine
Aspirant

DGalt wrote:
I've had this router (Netgear WNDR3700 N600 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router) for maybe 4 months. Haven't had any real issues with it, but I woke up this morning with it basically dead. It still has power (power light is on), but everything else isn't working (all other lights are off, no wireless or wired connections are working). Powercycling didn't fix it.

Is there anything else I should try before contacting Netgear?

I have the same exact problem. Woke up yesterday to see my almost 4 month old wndr3700 dead with only an amber power light displayed. Tried all the reset and recovery methods and none could bring it back.

Maybe they pushed a bad firmware through auto update or something?

This is my first Netgear product and it was awesome until it died out of nowhere Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 16
bigbill68
Aspirant

I also had a similar problem with my Netgear router except it manifest itself about 12 days after i bought it. It was dead as a doornail, no power at all. I called Netgear support and they kept telling me to power on the router. The tech(?) could not undertand that it would not power on. They were not willing to authorize an RMA unless i powered the router up. Thankfully the store that i bought it at had a 14 day return, no questions asked, return policy. I returned iot and bought a replacement and its worked fine for the past 6 months or so.
Message 11 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

I just can't believe the replacement they sent me is also dead. And like I said, if they try to charge me to RMA this one as well I'm going to flip out.
Message 12 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

I just can't believe the replacement they sent me is also dead. And like I said, if they try to charge me to RMA this one as well I'm going to flip out.
Message 13 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

RMA is also refurbish unit as well so not sure how the QA is but consider you had bad luck
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 16
DGalt
Aspirant

What do you mean by "QA"?
Message 15 of 16