× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Not Providing ISP speeds

jmyrtle
Aspirant

Router Not Providing ISP speeds

My family and I decided to upgrade our internet speed with our ISP. We joined Spectrum with internet speeds at 200Mbps. We were told by Spectrum that our router wasn't powerful enough to push the speeds out, so we went and bought a new one.

After installing and setting up the new router, it still doesn't give me the 200Mbps speed. I've contacted Spectrum and they said that all is good on their side. I called NETGEAR Support though nothing seemed to help.

The router we purchased is the AC1000 (R6080). The modem we have is the ZOOM 5341J which Spectrum has told us that the modem pushes up to 300Mbps.

Directly connected to the modem, there is no issue. The router only provides 93Mbps or lower.

What can we do to fix this issue?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
jmyrtle
Aspirant

Re: Router Not Providing ISP speeds

We ended up returning the router and purchased the AC1750 (R6400). This router appears to be handling the speeds quite well now. Is there anything you guys suggest to improve speed and quality of the internet connections over Wi-Fi? This is still a work in progress for my family and I.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Wiseguju
Tutor

Try to disable QOS in the router settings and then see if your speed is up again.

Message 2 of 9

@jmyrtle wrote:

After installing and setting up the new router, it still doesn't give me the 200Mbps speed. 

What are you using the measure these speeds? What speeds do you see?

Is this wifi or wired?

Wifi is never as fast as wired, despite what the numbers may claim. Wifi speeds also depend on the capabilities of the client on the receiving end. The router may be the fastest on the planet, but a slow device won't be able to keep up.

These might be entertaining:

How Fast Is a Wi-Fi Network?

What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks ? :: SG FAQ

Different Wi-Fi Protocols and Data Rates

Message 3 of 9
jmyrtle
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@jmyrtle wrote:

After installing and setting up the new router, it still doesn't give me the 200Mbps speed. 

What are you using the measure these speeds? What speeds do you see?

Is this wifi or wired?

I am using Spectrum's Speedtest with a Cat5e wired connection.

Message 4 of 9
jmyrtle
Aspirant

@Wiseguju wrote:

Try to disable QOS in the router settings and then see if your speed is up again.

What exactly is this and what does it do? Is it a required setting for the router to work properly?

Message 5 of 9

@jmyrtle wrote:

@Wiseguju wrote:

What exactly is this and what does it do? Is it a required setting for the router to work properly?

Forget it. This router does not seem to support QoS.

But your question made me go back to the manual.

I don't know why you bought the R6080. It is not capable of fast communication.

Both WAN and LAN (the wired connections) are limited to 10/100BASE-T. So nothing will go faster than 100 Mbps. Which means that your 200 Mbps internet is faster than your router.

Take it back and buy something that offers 1000BASE-T. Look for "gigabit ethernet"

Message 6 of 9
jmyrtle
Aspirant

We ended up returning the router and purchased the AC1750 (R6400). This router appears to be handling the speeds quite well now. Is there anything you guys suggest to improve speed and quality of the internet connections over Wi-Fi? This is still a work in progress for my family and I.

Message 7 of 9

@jmyrtle wrote:

Is there anything you guys suggest to improve speed and quality of the internet connections over Wi-Fi?

Apart from the obvious, see above, there isn't a lot you can do beyond ensuring that the router is suitably positioned so that all the wifi clients can "see" it.

If you experience any problems, check to see if there is any wifi interference from the neighbours, if there are any.

Use 5GHz wifi as much as possible, it is faster but has a shorter range.

Wifi speeds depend on the wifi clients as well as the router, so they should be updated if necessary.

Of course, it all depends on whaty you are doing, reading email is less of a strain on the wifi than playing games.

Where possible use wired connections. especially for things that don't move around. For example, I use Powerline Ethernet to connect smart TVs and radios.

Message 8 of 9

PS Update the firmware on the router before you make too many complicated changes.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7