× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router WNR2000v2 Slow Internet

mynter
Follower

Router WNR2000v2 Slow Internet

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys can help me! I have a Spectrum modem which provides 100mbps (tested already). However, I connect it (with an Ethernet cable) to my WNR2000v2 router and my internet goes down to 30mbps when I do the speed test in my laptop (connected to the router via wireless). I updated the router to the last firmware and also performed a factory reset, but nothing seems to help. Help?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Router WNR2000v2 Slow Internet

If you're wanting faster wireless, you need to update the router. 

The WNR2000v2 is a N300 device. Meaning its a single band device that runs on 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is slow and sensitive to interference. For areas with many wifi networks 30mbps over 2.4ghz is actually considered a good speed. 

For faster speeds, you'd want to upgrade to a dual band router. 5ghz is significantly faster and less sensitive to interference. Only downsides to it is that it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials as 2.4ghz. 

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies

Message 2 of 3
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: Router WNR2000v2 Slow Internet

If I were you I'd upgrade to something newer, that will not give you the speeds you are paying for. Its a little old, you can still save it and use it as an access point but the newer routers can give you better output.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7