• 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Router is blocking websites.....

Greetings - want to give this one last shot before giving up on this router! It's a decent unit with some good features, but it has this annoying problem:

The WNDR3800 I bought earlier this year blocks access to 2 websites (that I know of so far), even though I have no parental control or blocking of any sort active anywhere, on either the router or computer. I've narrowed it down to this specific router (rather than an ISP block) because when I plug another router in (an older Asus) - there is no problem accessing these websites from the same computer. The 2 websites are Agnitum and Safelinking. Granted, I don't access these websites often - but do use Agnitum for my software firewall and A/V and, in principal, just don't want to be block from stuff. What I've tried so far:

-Made sure there is no parental control or anything else active on the router that would block anything.

-Deactivated, then completely uninstalled all software firewall products on my computer, for testing. I also verified that my hosts file is not blocking these sites.

-Connected to the internet via this router from my roommates laptop and my cell phone, and the websites are still inaccessible from both (every other website is fine). This eliminates a configuration problem from my computer as the issue.

-Firmware - tried DD-WRT - didn't like it - though the websites were accessible! Then, just in case, I tried every Netgear firmware for this router beginning from v1.0.0.18 to the latest v1.0.0.48 - websites still blocked. Made sure to reset to do the 30-30-30 reset and factory defaults each time.

-Even putting my computer in the DMZ did not help! (How is that possible?)

-Tried accessing these websites using their numeric IPs just in case it made a difference (if the blocking was being done by keyword) - it did not.

-Searched through various forums over the past few months, did not see anything helpful.

Any ideas?
:confused:

Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Re: Router is blocking websites.....

HI,
Tried different browser? Hint Proxy setting.
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

We also have this problem at our house. Some websites are blocked, and I can't see ANY logic. If we connect directly (unplug the Netgear router) everything works fine. I wonder what "pattern" decides which websites are blocked??
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

VE6CGX wrote:
HI,
Tried different browser? Hint Proxy setting.

Hi - thanks for the suggestion! There is no proxy setting active in any of my desktop's browsers (Firefox, Safari, Opera, IE), tested Android cell phone, or my roommate's Windows laptop. Her Mac desktop is unable to access these sites as well. Being able to replicate the problem across multiple computers with completely different OSs tends to eliminate a configuration problem (such as proxy setting) by any one computer.

It's too bad as there are many great features to this router - speed, options, wireless range, etc. However, it's completely unacceptable that when I want to update my Outpost antivirus signatures/firewall program from Agnitum (consistently one of the highest-rated software security programs) - I will have to unplug this router and plug in an old one! Really Netgear, really!?!?! I will be very hesitant to buy another Netgear router again without testing for this blockage immediately after purchase, saving the box and receipt and returning it the same day if necessary! Competition's too tough in this segment to have to deal with this nonsense. IMHO, of course! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

plan9pro, Do those website's IP address begin with a 5? Mine blocks all websites that have an IP address beginning with 5. So far, the only thing that works is to use a proxy service.
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I realize this is an old thread, but just found it.

I currently have the WNDR4700 router.

I can't access win-rar.com through my router unless I use a proxy server (TOR browser)

it's IP address starts with a 5.
I am unable to run a tracert , it won't get past the router,

Tracing route to 5.135.104.99 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms READYSHARE [192.168.1.1]
2 READYSHARE [192.168.1.1] reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.

I have tried resetting the router, changing the MAC, and the DNS.
no firewall blocks are enabled on the router.

if I bypass the router and plug my PC directly into the modem, I can access it.
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is definitely a Netgear issue. When I bypass the Netgear router, I have complete access to sites that have IP addresses that begin with a 5. Plug in the Netgear, and I'm blocked. Netgear, THIS IS GETTING OLD! FIX THE PROBLEM OR LOSE ME AS A CUSTOMER! :mad::mad::mad:
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Can you list down the websites that you cannot access that has an IP address that starts with 5.? And also the firmware version of the router that you have tried.
Message 8 of 8