× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router login and password issues

jake5584
Follower

Router login and password issues

I purchased Netgear router R6250 (AC1600) about 2 years ago and set everything up. 18 months ago i moved to a place that provided internet (so I boxed up my router). I just finished moving again went to set up my system. My laptop remembered the wifi settings and linked up right away. However, my wife's computer is new and we have a new tablet and phones. None of them can link to our WIFI because the password i wrote down doesn't work.

Q: How do I find (or show) my current password on the one device that is connected? 

Also I have tried http://routerlogin.net and is says "you are not connected to your router". I tried to follow link about going to COMD.EXE etc..... Way over my ability to do that stuff. 

- Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
WHOA
Guide

Try logging into the router by using its IP address. Typically it would be 192.168.1.1. To make sure, you can find your default gateway, and that will be where your router is located. Once you find it and you get the login screen, it will be UN:admin PW:password (unless you changed it). You'll be able to find the wifi settings in the web admin page.

Otherwise if the sticker is still attached to the back or underside, it may be the default wifi password that came with the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
WHOA
Guide

Try logging into the router by using its IP address. Typically it would be 192.168.1.1. To make sure, you can find your default gateway, and that will be where your router is located. Once you find it and you get the login screen, it will be UN:admin PW:password (unless you changed it). You'll be able to find the wifi settings in the web admin page.

Otherwise if the sticker is still attached to the back or underside, it may be the default wifi password that came with the router.

Message 2 of 5
WHOA
Guide

That should've read:

UN: admin PW: password

Also, I don't believe there's an easy way to reveal the password ON the connecting device. Like you can't just go into your laptop's settings and see that the wifi password is "123456abcdefg".

Message 3 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

Make sure when you connet your computer to the router its connected to one of the four LAN ports on the back of the router. You can always press the reset pinhole with a paper clip for 30 seconds to reset it back to defaults and see if it will respond but it will go back to defaults.

Message 4 of 5

To retrieve forgotten wifi passwords, install the Windows desktop version of the genie on your laptop. (Unless it is a Mac, of course.) There is a "Retrieve wireless password" at the top.

Some people consider this as a crime against society, but you need to be able to login to the genie to get there, so there is some security. You also have to be connected to the wifi in the first place, which, as you have discovered, isn't easy if you don't know the password. Fortunately, your laptop does know it, even if you don't!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7