× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router login issues

Router login issues

Hello,
So I am having a very frustrating issue logging into my router. I cant seem to login to my router using ip address or routerlogin.net after a certain amount of time. If I reboot my router, I can login without any issues, do whatever I need to do and all is well, but it seems like after a while, my router time out and then I can login access the page... I get a "This Page is not Available" in Chrome.

I have tested with Chrome, Safari Firefox (on both Mac and PC, on 2.4 and 5.ghz connection, as well as hardwired directly into the router). I have also tested same settings on a IBM machine, including using IE

Internet seems to be running fine, (I can even ping the default gateway) but every time I create a new VM on my test server I need to assign it a static IP address and need to login, and hate that I have to keep rebooting my router to doit.

Is there a setting or something I am missing?
thanks in advance for any help.
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Chuck_s
Aspirant

Hi Andy --

Hard reset seems to have worked. Thanks!

For the curious:

First thing that happened was the router reported searching for another router on the network. Didn't find one and proceeded to reset the router to factory specs.

Once that came up I restored my previous settings that I had saved while I still had access to the router.

Still curious what it set itself to last month when I tested my olde 3700 (which, incidentally works fine behind an AT&T router at my other house -- and has a lot more range and SPEED than the AT&T.

-- Chuck

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 22

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
Cleared browser cache then tried?
Message 2 of 22
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Mitulpatel2003, what provides your Internet connection for the router/network, if a modem what is the manufacturer and model number please?
Message 3 of 22
Puffnstuff
Guide

What about using Ethernet to log in?
Message 4 of 22

Hey all
VE6CGX - Yep tried clearing cache, but again, trying it on two different machines with multiple browsers, I think also ensures that its not a caching issue, but for the sake or argument, I went ahead and cleared cache right now since again I cant login - No change.

Babylon5 - I do use a cable modem, its a Motorola SURFboard SB6121

Puffnstuff - Yep, happens when hard wired directly to the router too with a ethernet cable as well.

I truly do appreciate all the help so far.
Thanks!
Message 5 of 22
Scree
Tutor

Bugged firmware. Same thing happens to me, using WNDR4500v2 1.0.0.54. The last time this happened was just the other day, after about 5 days uptime. I'll log in to the config pages, view a few of them, and then suddenly they can no longer be accessed with Chrome and IE reporting "connection refused" or similar. The internet still works fine, but the router will no longer allow the config pages to be accessed until a power cycle. This doesn't happen with 1.0.0.50 (I had a stretch of over 30 days without issues or reboots before), so I'm going back to that again soon.
Message 6 of 22
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Have you tried the IP address of the router instead of routerlogin.com/net?
Message 7 of 22
olsbyg
Aspirant

I'm also experiencing this issue; started about a week ago. Everything works except I can't access the router at 10.0.1.1. I can't ping it either. I installed Netgear Genie; the Network Map is complete (printers, storage, PCs, etc.), however, the router (10.0.1.1) is not represented on the map.

I've reset twice, re-configured with my standard; a short time later I'm unable to ping 10.0.1.1. Netgear Genie says "router not found"...again, the other tabs work. I've flushed DNS, added 10.0.1.1 to my browser settings to no effect.
Message 8 of 22
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Olsbyg, are you sure the router IP is 10.0.1.1? Did you set this range or was it set by the router? If set by the router this often indicates that there is already a router in your LAN, often DSL modems are routers. Typically in that case the Netgear router will set the LAN subnet to 10.0.0.x, not 10.0.1.x.

If you go to a Command Prompt (Start, All programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) and type ipconfig /all, if you look at the Gateway IP for your adaptor you should see the router IP address.
Message 9 of 22
Chuck_s
Aspirant

I have the same problem with this model and am guessing it started with I piggybacked a 3700 to it to test the 3700 and find what password I've set.

The 4500 is working fine, but I can't access the router. Did the 4500 set a new IP address for itself and let the 3700 have 192.168.1.1 ?

The 3700 is now 150 mile away and working fine. The 4500 is working fine too, my PCs, iPhones, TV, etc. all access it nicely.

Can I do a hard reset of the 4500 and gain access to it?

ipconfig shows it's sitting at 192.168.1.1 but I can't access it.

Any assistance appreciated.

-- Chuck
Message 10 of 22
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Chuck, if by ‘piggyback’ you mean you connected in series WAN-LAN, then it’s quite common in that situation for one of the routers (the second in the chain) to set its LAN subnet to something like 10.0.0.x.
Message 11 of 22
olsbyg
Aspirant

Olsbyg, are you sure the router IP is 10.0.1.1? Did you set this range or was it set by the router? If set by the router this often indicates that there is already a router in your LAN, often DSL modems are routers. Typically in that case the Netgear router will set the LAN subnet to 10.0.0.x, not 10.0.1.x.

If you go to a Command Prompt (Start, All programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) and type , if you look at the Gateway IP for your adaptor you should see the router IP address.

----------
I set the 10.0.1.1 range and mac reserved several machines. I also have dhcp running for those devices I don't reserve. See below for the ipconfig info.

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.50(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:37:34 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:28:06 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
DHCPv4 Class ID . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
Message 12 of 22
Chuck_s
Aspirant

Thanks.

Any idea how find the address?

-- Chuck
Message 13 of 22
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A computer which has been allocated IP data from the router via DHCP will, as per olsbyg’s example above, have a Gateway IP address, this is the address of the router.

At a Command Prompt (Start, All programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) type ipconfig /all
Message 14 of 22
Chuck_s
Aspirant

Default gateway shows as 192.168.1.1 (as normal). Can't find anything there.

"Connection was reset."

-- Chuck
Message 15 of 22
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Was it listed as a DHCP served address i.e. with a lease time?
Message 16 of 22
Chuck_s
Aspirant

Hi Andy --

Here's the data:
C:\Users\Chuck>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dual_CPU
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-35-36-4F-C7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:44e2:44cf:e472:605f:a8f4:50de:e9dd(P
referred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:44e2:44cf:e472:bce6:d52d:8f78:badf(P
referred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::605f:a8f4:50de:e9dd%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 05, 2015 19:42:12
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 11, 2015 07:42:11
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::224e:7fff:fec0:58d9%11
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234886709
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-B5-8B-42-00-16-35-36-4F-C7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::224e:7fff:fec0:58d9%11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{842961B1-DD76-4E51-B1C9-841C0983969C}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Chuck>
Message 17 of 22
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well that all looks OK to me.

I suggest that you connect the PC to the router with an Ethernet cable only, not wireless, and factory reset the router.
Message 18 of 22
Chuck_s
Aspirant

I'll try the reset. PC is direct connect to the router, not wireless (although there are wireless devices on the net).

-- Chuck
Message 19 of 22
Chuck_s
Aspirant

Hi Andy --

Hard reset seems to have worked. Thanks!

For the curious:

First thing that happened was the router reported searching for another router on the network. Didn't find one and proceeded to reset the router to factory specs.

Once that came up I restored my previous settings that I had saved while I still had access to the router.

Still curious what it set itself to last month when I tested my olde 3700 (which, incidentally works fine behind an AT&T router at my other house -- and has a lot more range and SPEED than the AT&T.

-- Chuck
Message 20 of 22
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

While it is of course great that you have a working system again, I personally hate having to factory reset anything since most times it will clear the problem but will not eliminate it. Hopefully the problem in your case is gone and can be forgotten.
Message 21 of 22
mark2410
Novice

ive had this same issue for many months. still does it and only a power cycle resets it then it works for a while.

its a giant pain in the bum.
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7