Highlighted
Aspirant

Router randomly changes to 10.0.0.1

My router occasionally changes the LAN address from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.01.

When it does this, I have to go back and manually change it back. This is a problem because I have a couple of devices which have a fixed IP (e.g. Windows Home Server I have set to always use 192.168.1.50)

Why does the router do this, and can I disable it?

I'm running V1.0.0.67 WND3700V2 (I tried updating the firmware, but then the router started dropping wireless connections, so I switched back).
Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Router randomly changes to 10.0.0.1

if your modem is a combination of a modem/router that has the same ip segment of 192.168.1.1, the router will automatically if it is set to DHCP it will change it's ip to 10.0.0.1. To resolve this issue, you need to assign the static ip of the router to a different segment from your modem or change the static ip of your server to the range of the router.
Message 2 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

See router setup on my sig below, setup is not right
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I think zird2 is correct. If you have a cable modem that occasionally loses communications with the ISP then the modem will change its IP subnet to 192.168.100.x and this will trigger the action that you see and zird2 described. If you go to the router LAN Settings and change the router IP to 10.0.0.1 with a corresponding change to the DHCP range, then that automatic process will not be needed.
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I don't think 192.168.100.x will trigger the router change to 10.x ip
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Just the 192.168.xxx.yyy subnet is enough.
Message 6 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I have only seen on 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Mentor

In essence zird2 has explained why it happens - a subnet "conflict" caused by the modem's behaviour when it loses it's connection to the ISP - the simplest solution would be to leave it at 10.0.0.1 - unless that causes some sort of a problem for you.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 8 of 15
Highlighted
Guide

Agreed with the majority of views here, just go into settings and leave it at 10.0.0.x

My cable modem is 192.168.100.1, I have used other hardware that's at 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x
Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
Tutor

I have had the same thing happen, and the guys here are correct. For a lot of modems, when they lose internet connection, even briefly, they default to a 192.168.x.x IP address. This causes a conflict with the 3700. The best thing to do is to leave it set at 10.0.0.x as others have suggested. Otherwise you will have to go though the hassle of changing it back every time that your modem throws out a 192.168.x.x IP address.
Message 10 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks all, I'll make that change tonight.
Message 11 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I thought the whole point of 192.168.x.x addresses was that they were not rout-able. 10.x addresses are, right? And thus this auto switch to 10.x represents a huge security issue, eh?
Message 12 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Both private ip so result is same thing
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 15
Highlighted
Guide

Any private block is fine (In fact the router will let you use a non-private block and that's something bad IMHO.).. Anyhow, If you want to know what the private blocks are then you can go to wikipedia and look at their simple description of Private Networks.
Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mars Mug wrote:
I think zird2 is correct. If you have a cable modem that occasionally loses communications with the ISP then the modem will change its IP subnet to 192.168.100.x and this will trigger the action that you see and zird2 described. If you go to the router LAN Settings and change the router IP to 10.0.0.1 with a corresponding change to the DHCP range, then that automatic process will not be needed.

Thank you. I'm now OK with 10.0.0.x as the LAN with static and DHCP connections. My experience with this problem has only surfaced recently after a year of trouble-free performance. FWIW, my ISP DHCP-provided IP address has not changed in over a year which I interpret to mean no un-noticed interruptions beyond a lease-time.

I've never inspected my Motorola SurfBoard settings before (I never thought about looking at 192.168.100.1 before the problem above came up). It has a log file with a few references to CERTS:
Retrieved CA Cert from Secure DL sector successfully
CM Cert Upgrade Disabled. Motorola CM certificate present

I haven't looked around for other information yet, but are recent CERT issues related to the onset of this LAN/WAN problem?
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements