Highlighted
Aspirant

Router reports incorrect WAN IP

Hi.
I have a strange problem (not really a problem but still annoying). While I was troubleshooting my network I came across an error (probably) in the router firmware. The WAN IP reported in the webinterface is NOT my Ip. Whatsmyip.com reports a totally different IP. The IP reported by the router is in the 100.64.X.X range while my true IP is in the 217.76.X.X range. This does not make sense at all for me. Is the "wrong" IP some internal Ip used only for the router, even if it is a public IP? Or is there an other explanation?
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Router reports incorrect WAN IP

What model of router do you have, and if you have a separate modem what is the manufacturer and model number of that?

Highlighted
Aspirant

WNR1000v3

Firmware V1.0.2.68_60.0.93

I have NO modem. My connection is direct to a RJ45-connector in the Wall.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, well can you tell me who your ISP is please? Typically when there’s a direct Ethernet connection to a wall socket there’s some kind of router down the line.

Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi again.
My ISP is Svenska Stadsnät in Sweden.
There is an optical connection to the house's attic where a mediaconverter is placed. From here it's a cat6 cupper cable to my appartment. Theres separate connections for each appartment (2 per house) so no common network in the house.
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Would you mind posting that 100.64.x.x IP address in full?

Highlighted
Aspirant

NO problem.

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well that looks like it’s a routed IP address, so the Public IP address you see when using Whatsmyip.com is routed by your ISP to the 100.64.x.x IP address allocated to your router.

“This block is used as Shared Address Space. Traffic from these addresses does not come from IANA. IANA has simply reserved these numbers in its database and does not use or operate them. We are not the source of activity you may see on logs or in e-mail records. Please refer to http://www.iana.org/abuse/ Shared Address Space can only be used in Service Provider networks or on routing equipment that is able to do address translation across router interfaces when addresses are identical on two different interfaces. This block was assigned by the IETF in the Best Current Practice document,RFC 6598.”

Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements