Highlighted
Aspirant

Router says Internet Not Connected when it is obviously connected

Today I installed and put into service a 4500v2 router, firmware 1.0.0.50.

As a side note, I have Comcast Voice (along with Comcast Internet). I really didn't like the Comcast cable modem/router, a TC 8503C. I was able to put the Comcast modem into Bridge mode, and plugged the WNDR's WAN port into one of the Comcast modem's LAN ports. That all worked fine, so the Comcast modem/router is no longer doing DHCP and its WiFi was turned off. And all systems and devices on my home LAN can access the Internet.

However, NetGenie still says that the WNDR is not connected to the Internet
(Not sure why I can't post an image, but trust me, NetGenie displays a message with a bright, red background.) Any ideas on how to fix this?
Home LAN includes 2 Win 7 desktops, 2 Win 7 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 "smart" TV. ISP is Comcast.
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Router says Internet Not Connected when it is obviously connected

Are you able to see in the router settings what the WAN (Internet) IP address is to confirm that it's the same as your Public IP address?
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes. Here is how I confirmed that. First I put my Comcast cable modem/router into Bridge mode and I connected a laptop directly. The laptop received a public IP like 76.126.xx.xx. Then I set up the Netgear router and it also got a public IP in the same range. The DNSs in the Netgear router Advanced/WAN Setup page were consistent with the DNS I always get from Comcast.
Home LAN includes 2 Win 7 desktops, 2 Win 7 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 "smart" TV. ISP is Comcast.
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Anyone else?
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I assume NetGenie is the router config pages accessed via a web browser rather than the Netgear Genie application that can run on a PC? I don’t know why it thinks there’s no Internet connection when there is one, I assume it does something like check a connection to a website e.g. Netgear. Anyway, this may be clutching at straws, but in the router Internet settings you could change the router MAC address by selecting the option ‘Use Computer MAC Address’, this will result in a new Public IP address being allocated to your network. You will need to power cycle both the modem and router to pick up a new IP.
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements