× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router speed does not match Modem

WinstonJEC
Tutor

Router speed does not match Modem

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my R6100 router. It's not matching my ISP speeds like my modem does. If I plug my PC directly into my modem I pull 100+ mbp/s down every time. As soon as I direct plug into my router I drop to about 60 mbp/s. The R6100 is more than capable of handling 100+ mbps/ so I know that the router itself is not the issue. I contacted the ISP and there is nothing they can do on their end since it's coming from the router. I've already tried downloading the newest firmware and factory reseting the router. Nothing has worked and I can't stand to keep unplugging and plugging in my modem directly and lose wifi. Please help!

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

You may find this hard to believe, I do, but there is a 100 Mbps limit on the LAN speed of the R6100.

According to the manual it does:

LAN 10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45

WAN 10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45

This does not explain the speed loss you see – although you have to remember that the 100 Mbps covers everything that is going on on your network – but it does mean that you will never get the same speeds as devices that do 1000BASE-Tx. I didn't realise that Netgear still made 100BASE-Tx stuff.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies

You may find this hard to believe, I do, but there is a 100 Mbps limit on the LAN speed of the R6100.

According to the manual it does:

LAN 10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45

WAN 10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45

This does not explain the speed loss you see – although you have to remember that the 100 Mbps covers everything that is going on on your network – but it does mean that you will never get the same speeds as devices that do 1000BASE-Tx. I didn't realise that Netgear still made 100BASE-Tx stuff.

Message 2 of 9
WinstonJEC
Tutor

I know my router is older but I didn't realize that it didn't have gigabit ethernet, but I am also confused nonetheless why it's dropping 40 mbp/s since it "supports" 100. I've ordered a N750 which I know definitely supports it so I will be testing my internet speeds on Sunday to verify. I will follow up and let you know if that fixes my issue. Thank you very much!

Message 3 of 9

I've ordered a N750 which I know definitely supports it so I will be testing my internet speeds on Sunday to verify. I will follow up and let you know if that fixes my issue.

Who knows what it will do for your LAN speeds?

By the way, there is no such thing as an "N750". That is a label that Netgear uses to boast about the wifi speed of its hardware. N750 is also pretty old and slow.

Message 4 of 9
WinstonJEC
Tutor

Unfortunately in my area there is nothing higher than 100 mbp/s so really any gigabit Ethernet would do the job. I don’t see the need to spend $150 for a newer router if this solves my issue. If it doesn’t... then I guess I will be spending $150!
Message 5 of 9

Absolutely right.

My question was about this N750 thing. It isn't a Netgear, or anyone else's, model number, so no one can check if it might do the job.

Even if you don't have >100 Mbps Internet, your local traffic could swamp a modem/router link that is stuck at that speed. So I think you have made a wise move if you have ordered a router that does 1000 Mbps LAN.

Message 6 of 9
WinstonJEC
Tutor

I apologize! I didn’t realize that wasn’t the model number. It is the Netgear WNDR4300 - will follow up on Sunday with results!
Message 7 of 9
WinstonJEC
Tutor

Well, I guess that was the issue. I'm still not entirely sure why I would lose 40 mpb/s even without a gigabit port but I got my new router in and it immediately pulled 120 mbp/s. Thanks for the help!

Message 8 of 9

That's good news. Not such a daft idea of mine after all. Another case of technology moving faster than our hardware.

Like I said, something rated at 100 Mbps has to use that bandwidth to do everything, including carrying several streams of traffic in both directions. So the speed loss you saw may be surprisingly high, but I wouldn't expect it to have managed 100 Mbps.

Thanks for reporting back. That's valuable feedback.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7