× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router speed is slower than my ISP

sawalker
Aspirant

Router speed is slower than my ISP

Recently, my ISP (Spectrum) increased my internet speed from 100Mbs to 200Mbs.  I had them come out and confirm that direclty out of the Spectrum modem I am in fact getting close to the 200Mbs speed.  I run a short CAT 5E cable from the spectrum modem to my Netgear N600 wireless router.  If I connect another cable directly from the Negear router to my computer and run the speedtest.net I get about 90Mbs which is the same speed I was getting prior to them upgrading  the service from 100Mbs to 200Mbs.  My iphone 6 also gets 90Mbs when I'm near the router and connect to the 5G.

I've rebooted both the spectrum modem and my Netgear Router several times, but to no avail.  I verified that in the router settings > Wireless Network 5G > Mode is set to up to 300 Mbs.  

Any ideas why I'm not seeing a faster download speed that is closer to the 200Mbs? I appreciate any advice anyone might have.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Router speed is slower than my ISP

@Wiseguju wrote:

If i am not mistaken the WAN port on your router is only 10/100 port(max of 100Mbps), ...

You are not mistaken.

The manual for the WNDR3400v3 clearly says: WAN 10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45

>>> WNDR3400v3 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

The LAN has the same specs, which is slower than the LAN most PCs made in the past decade or so.

This is a pretty basic and now slightly old (four years) variant of a router that first appeared in 2010.

At least it does 5GHz radio, albeit on a slow wifi standard, N600.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Wiseguju
Tutor

If i am not mistaken the WAN port on your router is only 10/100 port(max of 100Mbps), so that is why you are not  getting more speed on your router even though  you have 200Mbps connection.  So you might need to upgrade your router.  Again I might be wrong on this but you might  want to check your manual for the router and check the  WAN port max speeds. 

Message 2 of 5

@Wiseguju wrote:

If i am not mistaken the WAN port on your router is only 10/100 port(max of 100Mbps), ...

You are not mistaken.

The manual for the WNDR3400v3 clearly says: WAN 10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45

>>> WNDR3400v3 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

The LAN has the same specs, which is slower than the LAN most PCs made in the past decade or so.

This is a pretty basic and now slightly old (four years) variant of a router that first appeared in 2010.

At least it does 5GHz radio, albeit on a slow wifi standard, N600.

Message 3 of 5
sawalker
Aspirant

Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I wonder if you guys have a recommendation of a more updated router that would meet the specifications and has good reviews?  With my current router I ended up adding a wifi extender to my basement in order to get more usable coverage there.  I'm not sure if one of the newer routers would be able to cover the basement without the need of an extender without costing a fortune?

Message 4 of 5

@sawalker wrote:

I wonder if you guys have a recommendation of a more updated router that would meet the specifications and has good reviews?

Reviews are best found elsewhere. All you will get here are Netgear users who happily achieve what they want, or disgruntled users who had a bad experience and are here solely to moan about anything and everything that Netgear does.

I'd start here and plug in your needs and consider your budget:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

A new router might reach the basement. If not your existing extender might work better with a new, more capable, router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7