Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Router statistics -- TX & RX bytes (in addition to packets)

Hi,

I have a WNR614 but I guess this applies to other routers as well.

In addition to tx and rx packets stats, is there a way to also display tx and rx bytes? I'm not looking for the current rates (as discussed in https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Router-Statistics-RX-amp-TX-B-s-rate/m-p/40127... but the # bytes that correspond to the # of packets. Many Indian ISPs cap usage and I'm looking for a way to vet their statistics.

Thanks in advance,

Sri

Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Router statistics -- TX & RX bytes (in addition to packets)

You might guess that packet counting is very simple, but since packets can be a variable size up to the MTU value, the number of bytes would be a little harder to calculate.

I will pass this on to Netgear as a feature request.

If all your attached devices are computers, then you could probably monitor data throughput at those computers.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Router statistics -- TX & RX bytes (in addition to packets)

Thank you Andy. I appreciate that packets vary in size. AFAIK, Netgear OS is Linux based. If so, bytes can be obtained via the ifconfig output/kernel API:

p2p1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1C:C0:AE:B5:E6  
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21c:c0ff:feae:b5e6/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:41620 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:40231 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:21601203 (20.6 MiB)  TX bytes:6145876 (5.8 MiB)
          Interrupt:21 Base address:0xe000 

I have mobile devices and Windows machines; it seems the router is the most convenient and reliable means for WAN traffic stats. I also haven't found an easy way to exclude LAN traffic from the devices' interfaces. Before I try traffic sniffers like Wireshark, I wanted to ask the community. Smiley Happy

I do mostly web surfing and downloads so I expect my tx packets to be smaller; if there's a rule-of-thumb average packet size for this usage pattern, please advise.

Thanks again,

Sri

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements