× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router will not reconize ethernet cable at all

littleman
Follower

Router will not reconize ethernet cable at all

I come home from work and the regular DSL router had been blown from a storm that wasn't even a bad storm at all. The DSL modem was even pluged into a surge protecter. I got a new DSL box and when i plug in the ethernet cable from the DSL box into my WIFI router, the other two lights light up minus the middle light. (which I assume is the light in which tells that there is an internet source plugged into it.) doen't light up. It lights up yellow for about 3-5 seconds and turns back off. The other two lights light up as green. I have turned the box off and all but this still occurs. How do i fix this? DId my router get hit by the storm too? Router was also plugged into protector as well.

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

More then likely you were hit on the phone line and it get your router by the lan cable. Even a surge protector will not stop a lightning hit if you are the target I have seen complete wired networks damage down to every nic card by mother naturals light show. If you are lucky you may be able recover the router if the firmware is the problem a hardware problem your out of luck. If more then the two item's listed in the posting are damage your home owners insurance may help in the cost of recovering.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
William10a
Master

More then likely you were hit on the phone line and it get your router by the lan cable. Even a surge protector will not stop a lightning hit if you are the target I have seen complete wired networks damage down to every nic card by mother naturals light show. If you are lucky you may be able recover the router if the firmware is the problem a hardware problem your out of luck. If more then the two item's listed in the posting are damage your home owners insurance may help in the cost of recovering.

Message 2 of 4

@littleman wrote:

The DSL modem was even pluged into a surge protecter.

That's for power surges on the mains. Lightning strikes on the phone lines are different animals.

Some years ago I had a local strike that took out my PC, nasty charred bits on the motherboard, as well as telephones, a fax machine, printer and other bits of local kit. New equipment was the only solution. The insurance paid for it.

Message 3 of 4
William10a
Master

I know even the tv cable can be hit i lost a tv converter box from the cable company and the flat screen have its main control board damage. By the way a surge protector for the tv cable will not work on a digital based cable tv service it blocks the box for the tv from working found out the hard way I tried it and no tv channels.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7