× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router with SMA connectors

rmakin
Tutor

Router with SMA connectors

I am in a rural location and only have a Nighthawk MR1100 rented through AT&T for WIFI.  It is about 5 yrs old and either it and/or the Orbi's keep disconnecting and losing internet so I think I need to upgrade the hotspot.  I have two external MIMO directional antennas hooked into the MR1100 with a TS9 to SMA adaptor cable.  I saw a video of a person having a similar setup and changed it out to an American cellular Cat12 modem that has SMA connectors, and a SIM card port to enable use on an AT&T plan.  Does Netgear have a modem, that has SMA connectors to enable a direct plug in for the external antennas, which would be an improvement over the MR1100 hotspot and could be used with an AT&T plan?

Message 1 of 4

Re: Router with SMA connectors

@rmakin wrote:

Does Netgear have a modem, that has SMA connectors to enable a direct plug in for the external antennas, which would be an improvement over the MR1100 hotspot and could be used with an AT&T plan?

You are looking for something that will work with a Nighthawk MR1100 or something similar?

You could also ask for advice i the section where people talk about those devices.

That's probably here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

Message 2 of 4
rmakin
Tutor

Thanks Michael.  I'll browse/ask on that section.  I was wanting to replace the AT&T rented MR1100 with something better that has SMA connections for my external antennas as now I have to adapt the SMA cable connectors to a TS9 to plug into the MR1100 and it is very sloppy and not stable. Plus it is several years old and starting to act up.   I saw a video or a rural set up that had an AT&T MR1100 and changed it out for an American cellular internet router Cat12 LTE cellular modem that took an AT&T sim card and he got great results.  As I have a Netgear Orbi mesh system, I thought having a Netgear router/modem from AT&T might communicate best with the Orbi.  So, I was looking for Netgear models that have SMA connectors for external antennas but can't find any.  So, just looking to see if anyone knows that Netgear has one, or if not, what they would recommend.

Message 3 of 4

@rmakin wrote:

Thanks Michael.  I'll browse/ask on that section.  I was wanting to replace the AT&T rented MR1100 with something better that has SMA connections for my external antennas as now I have to adapt the SMA cable connectors to a TS9 to plug into the MR1100 and it is very sloppy and not stable.

In that case, the "mobile" section is the place to ask for help. There wont be many experts on that topic in the zone for "General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk and Non-Orbi)".

They may even have ways of achieving what you really need, dealing with the "sloppy and not stable" bit, without having other widgets in the picture.

Mobile routers seem to be used by people with that sort of challenge. Someone there may have been down the same road.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7