Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Highlighted
Aspirant

Routers changing to AP mode automatically?

I work for an ISP and we have noticed some Netgear routers acting like they are in AP mode. Most of the time the user does not know how to get in and change this, or if they did they don't remember.

Is anyone aware of this happening via software update or other means?

Netgear - this is a disaster waiting to happen. Routers going into AP mode without another router in front of them create a HUGE security risk for the user. It exposes all of their network to the Internet, and from my experience they have no idea how it happened.

From an ISP standpoint, it eats IP addresses as each of their connected devices will pull a public IP. I've seen Phillips light bulbs with public IPs because of this.

We have been recommending Netgear routers for several years but this may change if you don't do something to remove this option.

Message 1 of 10
Highlighted

Re: Routers changing to AP mode automatically?

@tnfirebird wrote:

I work for an ISP and we have noticed some Netgear routers acting like they are in AP mode.

Any particular routers or modem/router combinations?

What symptoms users see?

By default, routers boot as routers, it can be a pain to get them into AP mode.

I don't recall seeing any reports of this behaviour here, so it can't be common, which will make it harder to diagnose.

What can happen is when a router sitting behind a modem/router reboots, sees the modem/router and then acts accordingly to avoid double-NAT issues.

There are many more reports of double-NAT because users don't realise that they have to tweak their modem/router to avoid it.

@tnfirebird wrote:

Netgear - this is a disaster waiting to happen.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here. Maybe someone else has a better memory and recall previous reports of this happening.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

They will probably ask for more detailed evidence than what might otherwise seem to be anecdotal.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] From an ISP standpoint, it eats IP addresses as each of their
> connected devices will pull a public IP. [...]

And you blame the _user_ for that, rather than an incompetent ISP?

> [...] We have been recommending Netgear routers for several years but
> this may change if you don't do something to remove this option.

Netgear routers offer a wireless-access-point mode.  Like the routers
of many other makers.  During initial configuration, some models
(firmware versions) might suggest WAP mode to the user if another router
is detected.  A user can misconfigure any router I've ever seen.
Crippling a useful router feature will not be a fool-proof solution for
an ISP which allows its customers to abuse its network.

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Not blaming the user. But also not an incompetent ISP. I've been doing this for many years "sensei". It's not a common enough problem that we've dedicated resources to tracking individual cases. Was just wondering if anyone had seen this before. I do know that the genie crap gave the option at one time to put the router in AP mode during setup. Very bad. We have a cap on the number of IPs allowed per user so we do have a stop-gap. It's just annoying to see people who don't follow directions. So yes, I am blaming the user until I find other evidence of this happening outside of their control.

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted

@tnfirebird wrote:

It's not a common enough problem that we've dedicated resources to tracking individual cases.

You've clearly seen enough reports to be able to finger Netgear. Does your logging include enough detail to tell us if there are any particular models involved?

If you know that, you could at least search this place for reports of spontaneous combustion, or rogue AP mode.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

We provide R6720 models for customers who want to purchase from us. I guess it's time to start getting them to bring them in for us to check out. It also seems that some folks just ignore the yellow WAN port too Smiley Happy go figure. But most of the time they swear they have it hooked up correctly.The MAC I see doesn't change, so I tend to believe that. If it's connected wrong, we will see the MAC change by 1. Of course the internal MAC doesn't burn an IP on our side but when you see iPhones with public IP it's a giveaway.

We also have folks who plug their TV's Ethernet jack into our set top boxes too. I guess if it has a plug they think they gotta hook something up to it whether it works or not.

I'll dig around some more...

Message 6 of 10

@tnfirebird wrote:

We provide R6720 models for customers who want to purchase from us.

R6720? I can't find it in the Netgear database. Something hand rolled for you?

Netgear does produce OEM kit, but there are various R62XX models. Are you confident about your model number?

We can't search the archive without the right number.

Out of interest, have you been wiped out by corvid queries? As everyine moves to home working, it must be a nightmare for ISP support people. My wine orders have certainly been clobbered.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Fat fingered it. Or i'll blame my eyesight. sorry. R6220. Another complaint. The dang model number is small even for good eyes.

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted

@tnfirebird wrote:

Fat fingered it. Or i'll blame my eyesight. sorry. R6220. Another complaint. The dang model number is small even for good eyes.

Spare a thought for my aged eyes.

Nothing here screams accidental AP mode:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – R6220 AP mode

Now, of course, we dive deeper down the rabbit hold and ask about the firmware version.

Do you have ways of telling them to update to new versions? Then again, that isn't always great idea, until you have confirmed that it works.

Just another user.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don't get it. Why the cat hair would you be assigning public IP addresses to individual devices? Any ISP I have ever dealt with back to 1985 had NAT or something like that by default. One usually has to set a fixed IP address to one assigned by the ISP.

Message 10 of 10