× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Routers that support Remote Management

orcslaya
Follower

Routers that support Remote Management

Below shows the list of AC router that supports Remote management or anywhere access. I am posting this after a lot of confusion on whether the R6120 supported this feature or not (It does NOT). Hope this helps other going forward:
AC2400
R6260
R6350
R6700
R6700v2
R6700v3
R6800
R6850
R6900
R6900P
R7000
R7000P
R7800
R7850
R7900
R7900P
R8000
R8000P
R8300
R8500
R8900
R9000
RS400

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Routers that support Remote Management

@orcslaya wrote:

I am posting this after a lot of confusion on whether the R6120 supported this feature or not (It does NOT).

The AC1200 WiFi Router Model R6120 User Manual as well as the AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router R6120 Data Sheet do neither list the classic IP based Remote Administration/Remote Management nor the Nightgear App Based Anywhere Access to be available (the way I'm reading the docs), indeed.

@orcslaya wrote:

Below shows the list of AC router that supports Remote management or anywhere access.

A lot of confusion in these designations indeed. Because Netgear used the terms Remote Administration _and_ Remote Management for the direct based access using a Web browser, the App based access used to be under the subject "Remotely Access Your Router Using the genie App" (e.g. in the R9000 User Manual) for the Netgear Genie App resp. "Connect to your router with Anywhere Access" for the Netgear Nighthawk App as well as for the Netgear Orbi App (depends on the product of course).

FMI (with the about "current" list of products where the feature applies to ... always best effort):

Remote Management is now Anywhere Access in the Nighthawk and Orbi apps 

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my router using the Nighthawk app? 

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my Orbi router? 

In brief, for "Manage Remote Access"

---
You can access your router over the Internet to view or change its settings. You must
know the router’s WAN IP address to use this feature.
Note: Be sure to change the password for the user name admin to a secure password.
The ideal password contains no dictionary words from any language and contains
uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. It can be up to 30 characters.
See Change the admin password on page 95.
Set up remote management
To set up remote management:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the
router network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the router admin user name and password.
The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time
that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Remote Management.
The Remote Management page displays.
5. Select the Turn Remote Management On check box

Use Remote Access
To use remote access:
1. Launch a web browser on a computer that is not on your home network.
2. Type your router’s WAN IP address into your browser’s address or location field followed by a colon (:)
and the custom port number.
For example, if your external address is 134.177.0.123 and you use port number 8443, enter
http://134.177.0.123:8443 in your browser.
---

In brief, for Anywhere Access:

---

Connect to your router with Anywhere Access
The Anywhere Access feature on the Nighthawk app allows you to connect to your
router when you're away from home and change its settings. Before you can use the
Anywhere Access feature on the Nighthawk app, you must update your router’s firmware
and download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device.

---

So two complete different features in fact!

Message 2 of 6

Not quite a complete list:

Model R6050

R6100
R6200

R6220
R6230
R6250

all include "Remote Management" in their manuals.

There may be more!

It is a pity that Netgear does not provide this infomation.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

It is a pity that Netgear does not provide this infomation.

Every other year some new KB entries were created, for example https://kb.netgear.com/24235/How-do-I-use-remote-access-on-my-Nighthawk-router ...

Message 4 of 6

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I know all about those, but that does not answer the question I asked.

Yeah, and the text does duplicte (ideally) the "This article applies to:" .... how use***?

The implicit question on this thread by @orcslaya is why a few - or specifically the R6120 - does not support the (IP port based) Remote Access. Or was the question about the feature named Anywhere Access again?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7