× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SETUP HELP

hellotou
Aspirant

SETUP HELP

Hi, Im new to all the  ins and outs of networking and I would like to update the firmware of my netgear DGN2200 modem/router, however it does not allow me to.

The modem was supplied to me from optus.

I would like to put it into transparent bridge mode, to use as a modem only and connect to an ASUS RT-AC68u router for all my traffic to run on this device.  Hope thats right way to do it. Currently does not have the option but is available in later firmware apparently.

Or if someone knows what settings are required to do this, have a fair idea just not 100% sure. Currently have internet through ASUS but have two network names both have DHCP running so cannot access DVR remotely through no-ip.com using DDNS setup. Any help or info on what im doing, if its correct or other ways to complete this would be great.

Model: DGN2200v1|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

There is a support for the DGN2200v1 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> DGN2200v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

You can get the latest firmware there, and instructions on how to install it. Check the release notes.

@hellotou wrote:

Hi, Im new to all the  ins and outs of networking and I would like to update the firmware of my netgear DGN2200 modem/router, however it does not allow me to.

That doesn't give us much to go on. What happens when you try to update the firmware?

@hellotou wrote:

I would like to put it into transparent bridge mode, to use as a modem only and connect to an ASUS RT-AC68u router for all my traffic to run on this device.  Hope thats right way to do it. Currently does not have the option but is available in later firmware apparently.

This is a pretty old (2011) and doesn't have the fine control that you get on newer devices. So there may not be a simple switch for "modem only" mode.

A search out in Bing/Googleland may be your best bet.

By the way, the age means that the LAN is 100BASE-Tx, which is slower than a lot of newer hardware. Maybe that is why you want to use a different router. The wifi is also slow, no 5GHz.

Unless you are skint, it might be easier to buy a DM200 rather than persevere with this ancient box. I recently bought one for £26.99.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

There is a support for the DGN2200v1 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> DGN2200v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

You can get the latest firmware there, and instructions on how to install it. Check the release notes.

@hellotou wrote:

That doesn't give us much to go on. What happens when you try to update the firmware?

@hellotou wrote:

This is a pretty old (2011) and doesn't have the fine control that you get on newer devices. So there may not be a simple switch for "modem only" mode.

A search out in Bing/Googleland may be your best bet.

By the way, the age means that the LAN is 100BASE-Tx, which is slower than a lot of newer hardware. Maybe that is why you want to use a different router. The wifi is also slow, no 5GHz.

Unless you are skint, it might be easier to buy a DM200 rather than persevere with this ancient box. I recently bought one for £26.99.

Message 2 of 4
hellotou
Aspirant

Thanks all, I think i'll just get a new modem, spoke with ISP, they will send me out a new Sagecom. Again, thanks

Message 3 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] I would like to update the firmware of my netgear DGN2200
> modem/router, however it does not allow me to. [...]

What's the current firmware version?

> The modem was supplied to me from optus.

If it has ISP-specific firmware, then you can expect problems
shifting to generic firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1543374

And, yes, "does not allow" is not a useful problem description.  It
does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did
it.  As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies