Re: Same SSID on both bands

cmslick3
Aspirant

Same SSID on both bands

I was wondering why this router does not support using the same SSID on both bands?? I would like to use the same ID to simplify my setup and let my devices choose which band works best for them at a given time.

Now I'm going to be forced to setup preferred connections on the 5GHz laptops for that band and set 2.4 as fallback.

This is day one with this router and I couldn't find this specified anywhere before I bought it. Would be really nice to have this option.
Message 1 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

This topic was discussed for another Netgear router where someone had set the SSID identically on both bands.

We came to the conclusion that there was no appreciable benefit.

By setting your device to pick the 5GHz channel over the 2.4GHz channel it will automatically switch to the 2.4GHz when the 5GHz channel was too weak.

Certainly I found in my own experiences that this works just fine.
Message 2 of 20
K1LL3M
Guide

Well that is just not good enough, your opinions are not necessarily those of the users. Please enable the use of the same ssid on both freq. this is a showstopper in my opinion and with out it will return my R6300 for another brand. Serious is netgear trying to be apple or something. Such a silly limitation for "no appreciable benefit"
Message 3 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

Return it.
Message 4 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

K1LL3M wrote:
Well that is just not good enough, your opinions are not necessarily those of the users.

What?

I have opinions. If I declare them as my own opinions then that is absolutely fine.

I live in a free world. I never dictate that others should follow me and my opinions. In the same respect, people are free to follow your opinions.

If that ain't good enough, tough.

Perhaps because I am female you have a desire to insult me or perhaps you just like to insult anyone who doesn't agree with you?

If we disagree, please air your views as to the resolution for the OP. Demonstrate where you personally have actually got something to work or refer to a specific example where it works.

If you read my post again, I clearly did both. I also expressed my personal preference and explained why I choose that over the other solution.

In computers it is always possible to find 100s of solutions. Which a person chooses depends on may different factors. Often no one solution is right or perfect for every combination of circumstances.

Please do not ridicule someone just because that expressed a preference.
Message 5 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

Scubbie,

I have no idea what he 'read' into you post. Perfectly good for me.

So on another note... you ready for the Olympics? 😉
Message 6 of 20
IceManKent
Aspirant

Perhaps the poster thinks you work for Netgear and were answering on behalf of them.

I am sure Netgear scans these forums, but it is too bad they don't actively participate in efforts to help the community of people who actually spent money on their products.
Message 7 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

sabretooth wrote:
Scubbie,

I have no idea what he 'read' into you post. Perfectly good for me.

So on another note... you ready for the Olympics? 😉

Thanks 🙂

Unfortunately I couldn't smuggle the Rolls Royce engines over to Weymouth to be fitted to the Team GB boats 😉

(Reference a joke from a few years back when there was some questions about what shape the hulls were in an International sailing competition)

IceManKent wrote:
Perhaps the poster thinks you work for Netgear and were answering on behalf of them.

lol - this is probably true, but then perhaps he also should look at the details on my profile as seen by the posts. They don't say "Netgear Employee" 😉

I also have a distaste for bullies. Do you think it shows 😉

IceManKent wrote:
I am sure Netgear scans these forums, but it is too bad they don't actively participate in efforts to help the community of people who actually spent money on their products.

It would be nice. From my understanding there may be some who process the pending posts and allow them through, but most of the moderator work is done by unpaid members of the public, not Netgear's employees or agents.
Message 8 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
Thanks 🙂

I also have a distaste for bullies. Do you think it shows 😉

I don't know. Do you drink? 😄
Message 9 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

sabretooth wrote:
I don't know. Do you drink? 😄

Occasionally, but not this evening and not to excess recently.
Message 10 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
Occasionally, but not this evening and not to excess recently.

Well, I think I have identified the problem... ;-). Hope it doesn't rain over there during the games. But I think that is asking too much.
Message 11 of 20
K1LL3M
Guide

Your gender had absolutely nothing to do with my comments, seems thats a bit of a chip you have there but considering how women are treated here maybe it's deserved. However, your preening in later posts is just another bully type behaviour.

I do sincerely apologise for my comment being directed at you as a representive of netgear, as I did incorrectly assume you were a netgear employee and that your comments were a specific design decision of netgear, (I found while search for info on the ssid issue). Sorry about that and thanks for clarifying things, I will try and contact netgear correctly to express my displeasure and their design decision.
Message 12 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

The forecasters are saying that the weather should change for the better this weekend. 😄

Someone needed to make sure that the country looked green and pleasant. Now that the roads are all covered in mud I think they went too far :rolleyes:

Only 3 months ago all our reservoirs were close to empty. Now they are at record heights for the time of year.

I guess the canoeists and swimmers will have plenty of fresh water too. I'm not so sure about the rowing teams though. They were last seen practising in the car parks.

The Gymnastics team were mistaken for the Synchronised swimming team when they were leaving the sports hall the other week following some training.
Message 13 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

K1LL3M wrote:
Your gender had absolutely nothing to do with my comments, seems thats a bit of a chip you have there but considering how women are treated here maybe it's deserved. However, your preening in later posts is just another bully type behaviour.

I do sincerely apologise for my comment being directed at you as a representive of netgear, as I did incorrectly assume you were a netgear employee and that your comments were a specific design decision of netgear, (I found while search for info on the ssid issue). Sorry about that and thanks for clarifying things, I will try and contact netgear correctly to express my displeasure and their design decision.

No problem. It is however never nice to mistreat anyone for any reason. Gender is one of the 7 protected characteristics of the UK's Equality Act 2010. As for insulting employees of Netgear on this public forum, this isn't tolerated by the mods.

I do have a go at some specific issues over the Netgear products on occasions. At the same time I want my Netgear products to work and in sharing my experiences I do find better ways.

As for my preference for not using the same SSID on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, it is from personal experience and tractability. When I see the SSIDs listed on my Laptops, it doesn't tell me which channel they are on, only a tool such as inSSIDer does this.

Knowing a little now about signal strengths on different frequencies, it is useful to know whether I am on one or the other where I live. With over 60 WiFi routers on the 2.4GHz channels, only the 5GHz is clear. However if I am further away, then the 2.4GHz offers a stronger signal.
Message 14 of 20
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

K1LL3M wrote:
Well that is just not good enough, your opinions are not necessarily those of the users.

This is not just directed at you, but also anyone else who may be reading this.

As you seem to have realised in your post #12, people who post on these forums are not Netgear employees, they are offering their time (and opinions) freely, and while many will view these forums as ‘support forums’ they are more accurately described as ‘discussion forums’ where opinion is allowed (both positive and negative) and should in fact be encouraged.

Scubbie is right to state that disrespectful comments are not allowed, if you think someone else’s opinions are wrong then you have the options to either offer your own opinion or ignore, but the tone in post #3 was not good, thankfully corrected in post #12.

For the record, I see no logical reason why the end user allocation of SSIDs for the two bands should be restricted in the way it is, but that’s just my opinion.
Message 15 of 20
kenrok1
Aspirant

Hi I just got an R6300 myself and this is my first Netgear router so I too was wondering why it wouldn't allow the same SSID as I've never specified different SSIDs before on other dual band routers -which caused me to do some searching...

I think this might be the other discussion that was referenced above:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=51818

Other brands even publish that the preferred recommendation is to use separate SSIDs in their set up guides but don’t force it, or even default to it.

For whatever reason the 2.4 GHz band is “seen” first (probably due to longer range) and the client device is most likely just going to default to it (even if it has 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz support) so you’d never end up connecting to the 5 GHz band if you didn’t specify it – and to specify the 5 GHz band it seems the surefire way is to use a unique SSID.

Maybe there are more sophisticated NICs or client software out there that let you set band preference, but I don’t have any.
Message 16 of 20
Mark_K
Tutor

If you name them the same how could you mannually pick the one you want?
I belevie that for each wifi card or adapter you will need to specify the primary band and the fallback one.

why would naming them the same help you?

1xR6300 V1 - V1.0.2.36_1.0.28
Message 17 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

Mark_K wrote:
If you name them the same how could you mannually pick the one you want?

This to me is the primary reason why I would want to always have them using different names.

Another perfectly good reason is connection speeds.

The router in question (R6300) supports up to 750mb/s on the 2.4GHz channel and up to 1.3Gb/s on the 5GHz channel. Surely you want to ensure that you are getting the most from your router?
Message 18 of 20
xmnboy
Initiate

Scubbie wrote:
This topic was discussed for another Netgear router where someone had set the SSID identically on both bands.

We came to the conclusion that there was no appreciable benefit.

By setting your device to pick the 5GHz channel over the 2.4GHz channel it will automatically switch to the 2.4GHz when the 5GHz channel was too weak.

Certainly I found in my own experiences that this works just fine.

I just purchased a WNDR4300 and love the performance but hate the fact that it does not allow the same SSID on both frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz). I also have a dual-band Cisco router in the house and it does allow this configuration. Personally, I think this should be an allowed option in the router, not an enforced policy as it is now implemented.

How do we get a message to the Netgear firmware engineers to add such an option?

I understand your reasoning (in the quote above), but in practice implementing this policy is difficult or impossible to do with all wifi clients. For example:

Message 19 of 20
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

I note that in the specifications for the WNDR4300 that the fastest connection speed for the 2.4GHz band is 300mb/s. For the 5GHz band it is 450mb/s.

If I had a laptop which I wanted to connect at 450mb/s on the 5GHz band, the last thing I would want it to do would be to pick up the 2.4GHz channel because it has the same SSID.

As for configuring all those devices, it is quite simple. If all the 2.4GHz channels use the same SSID (i.e. Scubbie2) and the same security settings (i.e. WPA2, password2) and all the 5GHz SSIDs were the same (i.e. Scubbie5, WPA2 and password5), then each device would simply pick up the best one each time.

If you have an issue with some devices not picking the best frequency, then I would not program in the alternative frequency's SSID.

Also I do appreciate that most smart phones and tablets will not benefit from 300mb/s WiFi, let aline 450mb.s WiFi.
    Message 20 of 20
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    • 19 replies
    • 4 kudos
    • 9 in conversation
    Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E