Schedules

92merc
Aspirant

Schedules

I'm coming off a a Cisco/Linksys WRT54G2 access point. One of the features that model had was that I was able to setup multiple schedules. Long story short, I restriected 4 of my son's Internet devices to three different schedules. Weekdays, he loses access at 10pm, Weekends at 2pm. Internet starts back up at 7 am. Yes, I'm a hardass. 🙂

Looking at the router setup, there appears to only be one schedule. And from what I'm seeing, one schedule would apply to all computers. I run a weather computer 24/7 that needs Internet 24/7.

Any suggestions? Is that what the "Parental Controls" are for?

Just for now, I'm setting up the AP at my work so I can get the basic stuff ready to go. Due to our office LAN setup, I can't hook it to that for Intenet access. I won't have Internet to the router until I get home. And I did do the latest firmware.

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Schedules

only one schedule is correct. what you see what you get so that portion is cut and dry.

any parental control question comes new router, go to netgear.com/lpc 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 12
92merc
Aspirant

I've setup my son's devices with the reserved IP's so they are all in the same short IP range. I've gone into the blocked area and set his range to be blocked by "schedule".

I've set the schedule to 2am to 7am. But will that schedule apply to all PC's, or just to the IP range I've set to block?
Message 3 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use address reservation under LAN setup and use one ip only
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 12
Crane
Aspirant

92Merc, I'm with you on this multiple schedule thing. In a modern family household I need the ability to have multiple rules and schedules for various devices. I'm a hardass too 🙂 I would even login to my old router via my iPhone and turn internet off on their device. Or vice versa ... I could get a call asking to extend and I could allow it. The art of parental / child negotiation is alive and well :) On the computers themselves I can set up restrictions with Win 7 or Kaspersky parental controls. But that doesn't help me with the kids other electronic gear. I'm talking about iTouch, iPad, PSP GO, PS3, Blackberry cell phone with wi-fi. etc. And an old Apple eMac that is still in use. I also prefer to identify by MAC address but I guess the reserved IP is okay, but it would be nice to see the device name in the list as well. The Netgear WNDR4000 is my first Netgear router so the admin is all new to me. Its pretty good but I think it could be better with respects to the filters and schedules. My 2 cents, Crane
Message 5 of 12
martinrrrr
Aspirant

I setup a schedule to tun off the wireless for a few hours. Now, what if I need to turn the wireless back on during the shutdown period, what would I need to do to turn it back on?
Message 6 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you will need to take the schedule off.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 12
martinrrrr
Aspirant

How can I take the schedule off while it is in the shutdown period? Is there a way to log into the router while it is in a scheduled shutdown?
Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Press the wireless button on front right side of router. I just tested it and it works.
Message 9 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

not sure what you mean? if you can setup schedule to shutdown the wireless then remove or delete the schedule that you created.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 12
martinrrrr
Aspirant

searay wrote:
Press the wireless button on front right side of router. I just tested it and it works.

Great. That's the solution that I was looking for.
Message 11 of 12
martinrrrr
Aspirant

searay wrote:

Great. That's the solution that I was looking for. Thanks
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E