Highlighted
Novice

Security Settings WNR2000V3

Hello. I have my Netgear Router set up as an access point with WPA2-PSK ( AES ) security.

When I access my router with say my mobile telephone and look under available networks my Network Router shows up but it does not have this lock symbol under it.Other available Networks have the lock symbol.

I can simply access my Network without being asked for a password . Does that mean anyone can access my network without a password.?Thanks for any help.

Keith Dean
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Novice

Re: Security Settings WNR2000V3

well problem was solved by an update to latest software. Now there is a lock symbol and I had to put in my password to access the routerSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted

Similar situation here . . .I have been working with Kaspersky Tech Support for over a month now.
The problem is I am getting on a daily basis a Kaspersky error message saying my Network Router was insecure.
Though I am using WPA2-PSK and a ten character password - somehow the KIS2015 program detects an error.
Kasperky finally suggested I shutoff their "Wi-Fi vunerabilities detection" in the Firewall section. The remaining KIS2015 will catch anything going after the PCs.

Is their someone in the forum - or NetGear that can identify for me what my problem might be and a solution?
Or, is this a normal situation . . . .?

Regards - Jim
NetGear300 WNR2000 v3

Firmware Version V1.1.2.10

Used for:

NookColor

Toshiba Satellite A215- 32-bit

Toshiba Satellite P75- 64-bit
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted

New vulnerability discovered affecting Netgear routers

I posted this previously in another section . .

I have been working with Kaspersky Tech Support to fix what I think is a problem with my WNR2000v3. I set the security using WPA2-PSK with a ten character password.
The KIS2015 s/w seems to think the "Network is insecure . . ." (a KIS error message).
After a month working with them shutting s/w functions off, deleting and reloading KIS2015, performing Adware, and three KLog files - their solution is to shutoff the "Detect Wi-F1 vulnerabilities function" in the Firewall. Leading me to believe it's no big deal!
Their explanation is the PCs' KIS2015 will form the Firewall and protect the PC.
But, is the NetGear WNR2000v3 truly venerable?

Regards - Yellowstone (jimhood75075@aol.com)
NetGear300 WNR2000 v3

Used for:

NookColor

Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: New vulnerability discovered affecting Netgear routers

I cant see it on the list, but that does not mean its not. Its also at 'End of life' as far as updates and patches are concerned so maybe time to think about getting something newer.
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yellowstone, can you use WPA2/AES? That's really the most secure setting, and allows the fastest wireless. If you're using WPA2 with TKIP, then that really isn't the most secure that you can be.

Just a thought.
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yellowstone, one more thing, make sure that you have the latest firmware for your router. I was just reading that for that router (which isn't what this forum is about, by the way) needs to have the latest firmware to have the highest security that it offers.

Good luck.
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted

Always been set at: WPA2-PSK [AES]
NetGear300 WNR2000 v3

Used for:

NookColor

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Mentor

Yellowstone wrote:

Is their someone in the forum - or NetGear that can identify for me what my problem might be and a solution?
Or, is this a normal situation . . . .?

Regards - Jim

Kaspersky would (or should) be able to tell you which aspect of the security they think has an issue - if they can't then perhaps you should re-think using their products.

If disabling testing for WiFi vulnerabilities gets rid of the error, it would suggest that it is WiFi related, but they should still be able to tell you what aspect of the WiFi they see as vulnerable - weak encryption type, encryption key not long enough. not strong enough, MAC filtering not enabled

But, is the NetGear WNR2000v3 truly venerable?

Just my opinion, no more so than any other consumer router.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements