Set-up problem

bmacfla
Aspirant

Set-up problem

I have set up most of my devices without any problem, but I am having trouble with one particular DELL desktop running XP, connecting wirelessly. It is connecting to the 2.4 network, is showing connected but I cannot get any internet. In the attached devices that computer is showing up without an IP address but the computer itself shows that it is connected with an IP address ( a proper one)

2 things that might be a factor.

1) low signal strength 2 bars
2) when I check on the connection set-up the connection key saved in the system does not match what I put in to login.

anybody have any thoughts?

thanks
Bruce
Message 1 of 12
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Set-up problem

1) Low signal strenght could be the cause.

2) Try deleting the saved profile on the Dell XP and connecting afresh.

I imagine you have tried the Dell XP wired to a LAN port of the router? Can you get internet when wired?
Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try WPA-PSK [TKIP] if you haven't already done so.
Message 3 of 12
bmacfla
Aspirant

I tried it wired no problem

I tried deleting the wireless network and re-configuring it using TKIP, still no luck. Everything it does indicates it is connected but not internet
Message 4 of 12
Joe_
Apprentice

1) If your router is placed vertically, signal strenght is best on a horizontal plane. (As an aside, this position allows for better heat dissipation too). If placed horizontally, then signal strenght is better vertically (ie. as in the case of 2-storey houses). This said, you may try to see if placement could improve the signal to the Dell XP, as this may well help.

2) You could also try (if possible) to move the PC into the same room with a close direct line-of-sight to the router and test that way. This should determine if weak signal strenght is the cause.

All this said because no mention is made of the positioning of the Dell XP in relation to the router. Example: Distance, No. of walls and other obstructions.

The first thing would be to try to receive a good signal and see what happens.

You could also try with no encryption/security too (ie. no WPA or WEP), just to see if that's the problem.
Message 5 of 12
bmacfla
Aspirant

I will have to try and move it closer, currently it is over 100 ft horizontally from the router through a couple of walls (two bars on the signal strength) Currently I am ok to use it wired.
Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try using only "up to 54mb" in wireless setup.
Message 7 of 12
bmacfla
Aspirant

that worked, although it is slow
Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Great! Your welcome. The speed will fall off as the signal drops. Try using a directional ant on the desktop and or upgrade the wireless card also.
Message 9 of 12
madhatter
Apprentice

bmacfla wrote:
that worked, although it is slow

I have the same problem with a Dell M4400. I have 4 other wireless machines that are working fine, but not the Dell.

The 4400 worked when I first got it, but somewhere along the line either a MS update, Dell update, or some other company update messed it up.

I downloaded new drivers from the Dell website, but it still didn't work. I think it must have something to do with the Intel ProSet Dell uses. Not sure.

At any rate, I solved the problem by plugging in a WNDA3100 V1... The WNDA works great.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 10 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

bmacfla wrote:
I will have to try and move it closer, currently it is over 100 ft horizontally from the router through a couple of walls (two bars on the signal strength) Currently I am ok to use it wired.

100 ft are likely to be major issues when you do not have line a sight....
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 12
Joe_
Apprentice

jmizoguchi wrote:
100 ft are likely to be major issues when you do not have line a sight....

That's what I thought too! Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E