× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up a WNDR37 as a wireless extender

Wayne1938
Tutor

Setting up a WNDR37 as a wireless extender

Trying to set the router up as a wireless extender for my Granddaughter and don't know what I need to do. Have had the router for years and had no use for it until now.

The setup now is her mother has a landline and has to use comcast modem/wireless router EMTA on the mail floor.

Years ago I ran cat 5 downstairs and put in a little 4 port switch and things have worked out OK.

The basement has now been remodeled and were her room is at, there is no way of getting to the switch and she has to use a wireless connection on her phone and Macbook air laptop. The signal is terrible. The other end of the basement can get a signal, but it is not that strong.

I heard these old routers can be made into a wireless extender, but don't know what has to be done.

Want to try this before paying for a wireless extender.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Model: WNDR3700v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@Wayne1938 wrote:

The "Old Router" I am talking about is the one I stated in my subject line WNDR37AV. Sorry, but  that's the best I can do.

WNDR37AVv1 | N600 WiFi Router for Gaming | NETGEAR Support 

No sign that it does WDS.

Seriously old.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies

@Wayne1938 wrote:

Trying to set the router up as a wireless extender for my Granddaughter and don't know what I need to do.

What do you mean by that?

Do you want to plug the WNDR3700v2 (I assume that is what you have, "WNDR37" could be several things) into a router? Or do you want it to pick up the wifi from the router and act as a "bridge" between the router and the granddaughter's stuff?

The wired approach is usually known as a wireless access point. A wireless "bridge", or "wireless repeating",  is also sometimes known as a Wireless Distribution System (WDS).

@Wayne1938 wrote:

I heard these old routers can be made into a wireless extender, but don't know what has to be done.

For details on setting up a WDS, get the manual for your device. If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

For AP mode, try Googleland.

How to turn an old Wi-Fi router into an access point - CNET 

If you can turn it into an AP, then you could look into using Powerline Ethernet to get the network to the granddaughter.

Message 2 of 8
Wayne1938
Tutor

Thank you for the reply.

What I am trying to do is extend the wireless signal from the Comcast Cisco XB3 DPC 3939 from upstairs to her room downstairs. 

She can get the wirelss signal in her room, but it is so weak it just bufferes and at times can't be used until she goes to the other end of the basement. 

So I would say I am just trying to boost the wireless signal strength so it's usable in her room.

She is a college student and uses the internet a lot to do research, plus needs the privacy of her room to study.

I know there are wireless extenders made strictly for that which would work, but have had this router laying around and thought I could put it to use.

Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 8

@Wayne1938 wrote:

What I am trying to do is extend the wireless signal from the Comcast Cisco XB3 DPC 3939 from upstairs to her room downstairs. 

That doesn't really answer my question about how you expect to connect the old router to the Cisco box.

If it is by wireless, then get the manual and look up "WDS". It is short for Wireless Distribution System. Only some routers allow this.

I'm afraid we still don't know what this old router is. So you'll have to get the manual yourself and see if your device can do WDS. Look at the label on the bottom.

The Cisco XB3 DPC 3939 is a "gateway" with its own router built in. To extend the wifi, then a wireless repeater is the thing to look for.

This is Netgear's range:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range 

There are plenty of alternatives.

Message 4 of 8
Wayne1938
Tutor

I am really sorry I am not explaining this right.

The "Old Router" I am talking about is the one I stated in my subject line WNDR37AV. Sorry, but  that's the best I can do.

All I want to do is boost the wireless signal level from the Comcast Cisco DPC3939 gateway that is upstairs to her room in the basement and do it wirelessly using my old Netgear WNDR 37AV.

That's the best I can explain it. 

Message 5 of 8

@Wayne1938 wrote:

WNDR37AVv1 | N600 WiFi Router for Gaming | NETGEAR Support 

No sign that it does WDS.

Seriously old.

Message 6 of 8
Wayne1938
Tutor

Yep.

I will just give it to Goodwill and get a wireless extender made for that purpose. 

I use a Netgear extender at my house that works great, am familiar with the setup so think I will go that route.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 8

@Wayne1938 wrote:

I use a Netgear extender at my house that works great, am familiar with the setup so think I will go that route.

Excellent idea. As they say, familiarity breeds content.

The old thing won't have the same wifi capability of new kit.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7