Setting up a Wireless repeater using WGR614v10 as base station

I'm trying to set up a wireless repeater using a
WGR614v10 as the base station and a

WNDR3400 (N600) as the repeater.

The wireless settings WGR614v10 are:
Channel: 06
Mode: up to 150mbps

I was told to use the same setting for the WNDR3400, although
the settings options aren't exactly the same.

I've never done this before and can't seem to get it to work. I named the repeater Name (SSID) the same as the base station. And I'm guessing that once it's configured properly that you only see one router name pop up in your available networks.

Can someone help me configure this properly? It seemed like I was really close, but I couldn't connect and had to turn off the repeater router.

I'm using this article as my guide:
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2745/kw/wds/r_id/100109
Message 1 of 5
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Setting up a Wireless repeater using WGR614v10 as base station

bigcarpileup wrote:

The wireless settings WGR614v10 are:
Channel: 06
Mode: up to 150mbps

There is an obvious error in the article under step 2 that is misleading.

Wireless repeating can only use a mode of 54Mbps.

You should also be aware that any repeating or extending of a wireless signal will cause your wireless throughput speed to be halved.

Most people, when they learn of the limitations of wireless repeating, don't go for it.

Some people prefer to use a WN2000RPT to extend their signal. With this option they, at least, will be able to use the higher speed/mode as well as higher encryption/security, though throughput will still be halved. The following should provide you with more info about this option: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14239/kw/WDS

The 3rd option (which I would choose) if I needed to cover a greater/other area, is to set up a wired Access Point. This is shown here: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Of course this means that there must be a physical connection (normally CAT5e) between the base station and the access point. The advantage here is little or no loss of speed, as well as no limitation for encryption. Remember too that if running CAT5e isn't possible or untidy, it may still be possible to join the two with a power-line connection, although power-line will have some speed restrictions as well (maybe 200Mbps with some).
Message 2 of 5
bigcarpileup
Aspirant

Thanks. Very useful information. I'm not sure what I'm going to try yet.

I have a separate question which I'm hoping you can answer. Is it possible to use my second router as just a device to use for for other wireless devices. For example, I have a canon wireless printer and a network hard-drive. Can I use it for those devices? Will I have to disconnect from the router that is used for the Internet and connect to the other router to print or use the driver?

Back to the other question;you said the speed would be halved. I am only getting 2 bars out of 4 for my wireless signal strength in this room. If I were to do the wireless repeater thing, would it be the same speed as what I'm already getting then?
Message 3 of 5
Joe_
Apprentice

bigcarpileup wrote:
I have a separate question which I'm hoping you can answer. Is it possible to use my second router as just a device to use for for other wireless devices. For example, I have a canon wireless printer and a network hard-drive. Can I use it for those devices? Will I have to disconnect from the router that is used for the Internet and connect to the other router to print or use the driver?

I don't quite understand what you are trying to achieve here. Why can't you have the Canon printer and network hard drive connected to whatever router you are using in the first place? That way, all your devices will be on one network and therefore easily shared.

Back to the other question;you said the speed would be halved. I am only getting 2 bars out of 4 for my wireless signal strength in this room. If I were to do the wireless repeater thing, would it be the same speed as what I'm already getting then?

As I said before - whatever your present speed IT WILL BE HALVED! The "halving" of the speed that I'm referring to will happen independently of the signal strenght, although signal strenght does have an impact on performance. Whenever a signal is repeated or extended, it is a natural overhead that is created by that function.

On the other hand, a signal of 2 out of 4 bars in the same room as the router is poor. Which of the 2 routers are you referring to? Have you followed all the guidelines in the Setup Manual regarding router placement to ensure the signal is optimized? How old is the router (it is possible that the wireless radio is going bad)? You seem to be having a problem with signal strenght, it would be better to focus on that first rather than "repeating" the signal or whatever.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

NO.. you need extender such as wn2000RTP or wn3000rp,

throughput will be in half = means repeat in uses 54Mbps/ WEP only so half of 54Mbps is the actual throughput of the repeating.

if you use extender such as above said will JOIN the existing network so any wired to the extender will get FULL #Mbps value connection and no half the performance.

Although if wireless devices will connect to extender wirelessly will be half the speed.

So all in all, your primary connection using extender keeps the higher encryption of WPA2 while you can do ALL you said with extender
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation