× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up a router

magrace50
Tutor

Setting up a router

Call for help while setting up my router. Left a call back number and when help called they said I needed 'security' that was not the same as a vpn. I ended up paying $250 for 'security', but got no extra software, download, etc that would suggest they did anything other than troubleshoot my router. Said I needed the new 'security' b/c of a law passed in 2016. This can't be legit, but I trusted it because it was the call back from Netgear. It just feels like a scam.

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Setting up a router

Many people google for a support number. There isn't a direct number. 

You click on "mynetgear" at the top, register an account and the device. From there you can contact support.

If you googled for a number (or found it somehow else), you likely did get a scam/con site. 

I'd put a stop on the payment you made and dispute it. 

If it was a new purchase, support is free for the first 90 days. 

If you're after the 90 days, netgear goes through gearhead. 

And the plan prices you were given don't match with gearheads. 

https://gearhead.netgear.com/

I'd be betting on you called a non-legit numer. 

Again, dispute the charge.

If you need to contact netgear, follow what I outlined above. 

FYI, there's no law in 2016 saying you needed security. 

Message 2 of 5
magrace50
Tutor

Thanks for the response. I called the number listed on the NetGear site and got their list of press # for this or that. They have been calling to make sure I was satisfied, which I didn't think spammer do. I'm confused.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Netgear doesn't have one listed on their site. 

if you didn't go through the mynetgear process, you probably got a scam/con site. 

Message 4 of 5
magrace50
Tutor

I wasn't on their site because I didn't have internet. I used my phone to look up their customer service. It must have been a fake Netgear site.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7