× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up old Netgear router (N150 - WNR1000v3) as wireless access point?

searsp
Aspirant

Setting up old Netgear router (N150 - WNR1000v3) as wireless access point?

I've recently moved my broadband to Virgin and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction with regards to setting up my old Netgear router as a wireless access point.  As expected, Virgin's Superhub is not quite as 'Super' as they claim it is and I'm keen to boost the wifi signal in the room in the house that gets the weakest signal. 

The ip address of my Virgin Superhub is 192.168.0.1 and i've also changed the DHCP range to 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.254.

i.e. so I can then 'simply' give my old N150/WNR1000 router a static ip address of 192.168.0.2, turn off DHCP/UPnP/Firewall, replicate the SSID/password/security on my Superhub and the jobs a good un.

This is where I've run into problems.  Don't be fooled by the above, which may give the impression I know what I'm doing.

I'm fine in terms of making the amendments on my Superhub, I just haven't got a clear what settings I need to change on the Netgear router once connected via Ethernet to my laptop.

Any help gratefully received!  I've found settings on the Netgear router for various IP and Gateway addresses but I've unsure which are the correct fields to change.  The best guide I've located online seems to suggest I need to give the Netgear router an 'internal' ip address of 192.168.0.2 and possibly change the gateway address fron 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 (i.e. the ip address of my superhub)

Many Thanks

Pete

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Setting up old Netgear router (N150 - WNR1000v3) as wireless access point?

I would recommend changing your superhub DHCP range to 192.168.0.2 – 192.168.0.199. It’s most unlikely that you will ever have nearly 200 DHCP clients on your LAN, so that range should be more than enough, but leaving the last 50 or so addresses available for use by statically set devices might be more useful, and the ‘1000 can then have a more memorable IP address e.g. 192.168.0.200 or 192.168.0.222

When logged into the ‘1000 Admin pages, make all the wireless changes first, in the Wireless Settings page, SSID / encryption etc.

Then go to the LAN Setup page, set the desired IP address e.g. 192.168.0.200, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, ignore RIP settings, untick ‘Use Router as DHCP Server’, then press the Apply button.

When you press ‘Apply’ above the computer will lose communication with the router (due to the IP change), especially if the ‘1000 is not currently connected to the Superhub.

Power off the ‘1000 and remove any Ethernet cable from the WAN (Internet) port. The ‘1000 must now be connected to the Superhub using an Ethernet cable from a ‘1000 LAN port to a Superhub LAN port. Other remaining ‘1000 LAN ports are still available.

Power on the ‘1000, computers should now be able to connect to it wirelessly and wired, and will pick up IP data from the Superhub.

The ‘1000 Admin pages will now be at the chosen IP address e.g. http://192.168.0.200

Those fields you describe seem to be WAN (Internet) settings, which are now irrelevant.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would recommend changing your superhub DHCP range to 192.168.0.2 – 192.168.0.199. It’s most unlikely that you will ever have nearly 200 DHCP clients on your LAN, so that range should be more than enough, but leaving the last 50 or so addresses available for use by statically set devices might be more useful, and the ‘1000 can then have a more memorable IP address e.g. 192.168.0.200 or 192.168.0.222

When logged into the ‘1000 Admin pages, make all the wireless changes first, in the Wireless Settings page, SSID / encryption etc.

Then go to the LAN Setup page, set the desired IP address e.g. 192.168.0.200, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, ignore RIP settings, untick ‘Use Router as DHCP Server’, then press the Apply button.

When you press ‘Apply’ above the computer will lose communication with the router (due to the IP change), especially if the ‘1000 is not currently connected to the Superhub.

Power off the ‘1000 and remove any Ethernet cable from the WAN (Internet) port. The ‘1000 must now be connected to the Superhub using an Ethernet cable from a ‘1000 LAN port to a Superhub LAN port. Other remaining ‘1000 LAN ports are still available.

Power on the ‘1000, computers should now be able to connect to it wirelessly and wired, and will pick up IP data from the Superhub.

The ‘1000 Admin pages will now be at the chosen IP address e.g. http://192.168.0.200

Those fields you describe seem to be WAN (Internet) settings, which are now irrelevant.

Message 2 of 4
searsp
Aspirant

Thanks for your response - all setup and working ok (I think). 

I am getting very different speeds when my laptop is next to my main (Virgin Superhub) router  (42mb) compared to when I've next to my Netgear router/access point (7mb).  Does this sound right, presumably there will be some degredation of signal even using homeplug adaptors?

Regards Pete

Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The WNR1000 is a relatively low-end model with 100Mbps ports and quite a low wireless throughput compared to higher end models. I would say that 7Mbps wireless to Internet throughput is not astonishingly low, but could perhaps be better. I would expect a wired connection to the ‘1000 to give you your full ISP rate since in that arrangement you are only really using the router’s 4-port switch as a switch, there’s no routing taking place.

If the router wireless settings have a WMM feature you could try with and without this enabled to see if that helps.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7