× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup N300

Ob11
Aspirant

Setup N300

Hello,

I am trying to connect my N300 router. The connection is fibre to the cabinet and then phone line to the house (essentially gets around 30mbps as opposed to 16mbps from isp - when it’s working!).

I have a router from the isp but it’s not very good at distributing the signal and also drops the line - several support calls later have settled on n300 (ie resolving issues from all angles as this wasn’t the only problem).

ISP is ee - have walked through settings together but no connection is detected through the n300. Does this router support the connection (ie part fibre but normal line in the house). I would have thought yes and ee advice says yes. Is there an update required on the router that I have to complete to fix the issue perhaps (have completed a reset on the router in case the wizard setup wasn’t correct).

Appreciate the help
Model: DGND3300v1|N300 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router|EOL
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: Setup N300

> Model: DGND3300v1|N300 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router|EOL

Is that accurate?  DGND3300[v1] or DGND3300v2?  Look for "Model" on
the product label.  Firmware version?

> [...] have walked through settings together but no connection is
> detected through the n300. [...]

I must have been distracted during that conversation.  Care to review
the important parts?

> [...] Does this router support the connection (ie part fibre but
> normal line in the house). [...]

It's an ADSL2+ modem+router.  How much should I know about your "ee"
service?

> [...] ee advice says yes. [...]

They should know.

> [...] Is there an update required on the router that I have to
> complete to fix the issue perhaps [...]

Not very likely.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and
Software Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the
kit(s).  What's available?  What's newer than your current firmware
version?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the Manuals.  Read.  Look for the LED
descriptions and "Troubleshoot".  Feel free to reveal exactly what
you're doing, and what happens when you do it.

Message 2 of 6

@Ob11 wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to connect my N300 router. The connection is fibre to the cabinet and then phone line to the house (essentially gets around 30mbps as opposed to 16mbps from isp - when it’s working!).

That will be VDSL. ADSL doesn't do anything near 30 Mbps. It was 8 Mbps when I had it.

The DGND3300v1 is an ancient (2009) ADSL modem router that won't work with VDSL.

If this is ee in the UK, it is probably on BT's network. With luck the ee modem won't be as hopeless as the junk that BT inflicts on customers.

Ideally, you should be able to get a modem only device for VDSL, but the bad news is that Netgear, and most brands it seems, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. The prices are getting silly. But you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

Netgear does sell modem/routers that you can out into modem only mode, the D6400 for example, but that can cause problems.

Message 3 of 6
Ob11
Aspirant

Thanks both for the useful insights and answers.

Yes, my God, I hadn’t realised it had been in store that long (yes it’s a bit too old! - I feel a fool for trying). As I am trialling the solutions (still using the free one they sent in the post but it’s definitely a bit dodgy) - keen to try a relatively inexpensive solution. I have found ‘night hawk’ routers from net gear on the 2nd hand market that are quite affordable (I’m not that fixed on net gear - except now with this community which appears to give amazing support - then I might stay with that option where possible). Are these a reasonable option ? Appreciate the advice and will mark as answered tomorrow as you’ve helped and resolved.

Best regards,

Model: DGND3300v1|N300 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router|EOL
Message 4 of 6
wcalifas
Prodigy

While it won't work for the fibre internet, you can still make that dgnd3300 into an access point later on if you need it for more coverage around your house.

Message 5 of 6

@wcalifas wrote:

While it won't work for the fibre internet, you can still make that dgnd3300 into an access point later on if you need it for more coverage around your house.

I wouldn't.  Horribly slow wifi and LAN ports. No big deal for Internet stuff, but slow for traffic on your local network.

Tell people what the ISP modem is and they might have ideas.

And explain why it isn't good enough for your needs. There may be ways around the issues.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7