Setup help: "No Router"

RonHC
Aspirant

Setup help: "No Router"

So today I went to BestBuy to get a new wireless router for my aunt. I currently own the Netgear 150 an so I figured I recommend her the Netgear routers. In the end she choose the Netgear N600. So we hooked it up and plugged in the router to our laptop (we run a modem+router setup) and we inserted the CD. It told us that a new version has been released. Half way through the setup the laptop went on standby and when we tried to turn it back on it seemed that it was frozen. I believe it was downloading the update through the wireless router of my house from the floor below. So I exited the window and ran the CD again. This time the window told me which setup I had. I followed the steps but whatever we do the setup would end up with the message of "No Router". I have been troubleshooting for almost 2 hours and we haven't fixed it. The router itself only indicates the power indicator (green), the "i" symbol (yellow/orange) and the number of where the Ethernet is connected to (green). Everything else does not indicate their light. I recall the netgear symbol on top of the router flashing it's blue lights but now it doesn't. We tried the reset button the back but there's no indication that it even do anything. When we plug in the old router (linksys) it works flawlessly. We tried on two different laptops (Windows 7 and vista) but it will not work. It will keep telling is "No Router"

Any help?
Message 1 of 8
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Setup help: "No Router"

Seems like you bricked the router - never ever interrupt a firmware update!

There is a procedure to try to restore the router, but there is no guarantee that it will work. The best bet would be for you to return the router to BestBuy and get another one.

When installing the new router, I would suggest you don't upgrade the firmware and just configure all your other settings. Test your connection that way and if all works well for you, don't upgrade to the newer firmware. "If it ain't broke' why fix it" is a good rule to follow.

When configuring, there is an option to turn-off automatic checks for new firmware - you can set this to "off" and instead check manually whenever you feel the need to.

"I believe it was downloading the update through the wireless router of my house from the floor below." :confused:
??? This shouldn't be. What does setting up your aunt's router/network have to do with your router?

Good luck! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
RonHC
Aspirant

[QUOTE=Joe_;361296
"I believe it was downloading the update through the wireless router of my house from the floor below." :confused:
??? This shouldn't be. What does setting up your aunt's router/network have to do with your router?

Good luck! Smiley Happy[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to talk to my aunt. What i meant from the quote above is that the laptop was previously connected to my router. Which I guess was the connection the laptop was using in order to download the update.
Message 3 of 8
Joe_
Apprentice

In the first place, if you were following the setup instruction documentation/sheet that comes with the new router, you are supposed to use an ethernet cable to hard-wire between a LAN port of the router and the computer you are setting up the configurations with. This way, you shouldn't have any confusion about which Netgear router you are communicating with.

Whenever updating firmware, always do so with an ethernet cable (as above). Doing so wirelessly can brick the router.

Be sure to set up a different SSID and password (from yours) when you change from the factory default ones.

Also, after setting up your aunt's network, you should rearrange the priority of the networks (in her PC's network settings) to connect to her network first. You can retain your network as the 2nd choice.
Message 4 of 8
RonHC
Aspirant

I did do that but I guess since it went on standby midway it must have lost connection, I will be heading to bestbuy today and hopefully things will go okay
Message 5 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you let router interface to upgrade the firmare should not cause the issues and also procedure should take less than 5 -10min at most..

Most user has a problem when you upload the firmware from the PC using the router interface.

At end result, router did not able to upgrade by itself as well.
Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 8
RonHC
Aspirant

I returned it and got the same model and it worked perfectly. I skipped the update so I wouldn't mess up again

Thanks for the help
Message 7 of 8
Joe_
Apprentice

You're welcome! Glad everything worked out. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation