× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Severe download speed drop

relayer23
Tutor

Severe download speed drop

Hope someone can help here...

Router was working fine until last week, when my download speed severely dropped: from 229.9Mbps to approx 30.2Mbps. I checked my cable on a multimeter; it's fine.

Broadband tech came out, checked their lines. Everything fine.

Connected my main computer direct to modem: fine, ~230Mbps.

Connect computer to WNDR4300v2, severe speed drop.

Swapped cables, checked settings. All good.

Checked all Lan ports on the router; same at all 4.

Swapped out with another router; back to ~230Mbps.

Rebooted WNDR4300v2; no change.

It's been up and fine since I bought it (maybe 2-3yrs?) and just started this about 6 days ago. I can't get the numbers any higher through the router, but if I connect direct from computer to modem, speed is fine.

What's going on? I'm on firmware v.1.0.0.32 and router now displays there's a firmware update. I am somewhat reluctant to try this, as I need to be connected even at this crippling speed. I just won't be able to download new Linux builds or Windows Images until this problem gets resolved.

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Severe download speed drop

Why are you reluctant to update firmware? 

Its fairly low risk. 

1. do it hardwired in. 

2. factory reset after the firmware update. Maybe an old setting got corrupted. 

I've changed more firmwares than I care to count and have only ran into issues when I was doing things wireless. Wired has been a rockstar. 

Message 2 of 6
relayer23
Tutor

1. When something's gimping, I like to do everything possible before flashing firmware; old habit from when that could be disasterous. Much better these days.

> Yup, this is all hardwired with Cat6.

Now, #2... going over & over every single setting in both Basic & Advanced, I got to:

Advanced > Setup > QoS Setup:

Enable Upstream QoS (Optimized for gaming) - checked ((I never use QoS))

Uplink Bandwidth > was at Maximum 512 KBPS<<<<<

See the problem here? Somehow (we had hellish lightning storms last week/don't know?) QoS reset itself to ON. It took me three looks at it to see > Kbps!<

Switched it back to Mbps and I'm back to average 233Mbps download.

Sorry to stir the pot on this when it's an old router (it works GREAT actually) but never imagined a flipped bit on QoS/Uplink Bandwidth 😮

Thanks for the swift reply! Maybe this can help others who have this weird problem.

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Might be getting to be that time to check into a router update with the speeds you have available. 

the move from N750 to a AC or AX device would enhance your wireless capabilities quite a bit. 

Message 4 of 6
relayer23
Tutor

I live in a small apartment and my wifi needs are few; just Roku and a phone that I only use as... a phone 😄

I think I figured out the answer to my problem - as mentioned, we had some wild weather last week and we had a power-out. So I'm thinking the router went down and when the power came back, it reset to factory specs, including the never-used QoS section...

*shrug* however it happened, it's all good now.

Now if I could just get it to take another username besides "admin"... 🙂

Message 5 of 6

@relayer23 wrote:

So I'm thinking the router went down and when the power came back, it reset to factory specs, including the never-used QoS section...

That's where timing can come into the picture. If you have a modem in front of the router, the modem can take so long to connect that the router times out before it can connect.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@relayer23 wrote:

Now if I could just get it to take another username besides "admin"... 🙂

Don't worry about it. I have never seen reports here of people breaking in with that username.

The only way in is through the local network. Given your minimal use, there isn't likely to be anyone outside the family or visiting wifi users trying to get at your router, especially if it has a decent password. 

People can't get in from the outside world without going through Anywhere  Access, which require a bunch of usernames and passwords to set up and get on.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7