Re: Should I turn 5Ghz frequency off if not being used?

dataghost
Aspirant

Should I turn 5Ghz frequency off if not being used?

Hi,

All my devices are 2.4Ghz compatible so I have nothing connected via the 5Ghz frequency.

I was wondering if I may as well have this turned off? Reason I ask is that even though it shouldnt, knowing netgears buggy software/hardware it may operate better when its not broadcasting both.

Might sound silly but my thinking is that its one less thing to burden the router with.
Message 1 of 13
dataghost
Aspirant

UPDATE:

Okay turned 5Ghz off by going into Wireless settings and unticking 'enable this wireless network' under the 5Ghz section, applied it.

Strange thing is the blue 5Ghz light has remained lit, rebooted the router and still lit, even though its unticked and applied in the routers internal pages.

I dont have any 5Ghz devices to check if its still broadcasting or not.
Message 2 of 13
theTechman05
Aspirant

Change the wireless name for the 5 ghz just to make sure its not transmiting(it should be also greyed out in the wireless setup. You could also activate, apply,deactivate,apply just to make sure its not an oops config error. I had some fun with visible/non-visible settings with Access reports.
Message 3 of 13
mergs
Tutor

dataghost wrote:
UPDATE:

Okay turned 5Ghz off by going into Wireless settings and unticking 'enable this wireless network' under the 5Ghz section, applied it.

Strange thing is the blue 5Ghz light has remained lit, rebooted the router and still lit, even though its unticked and applied in the routers internal pages.

I dont have any 5Ghz devices to check if its still broadcasting or not.

OK, I have found that if you go to Advanced > Wireless Settings, you can untick this and then apply and then the LED will go out.

Wireless Advanced Settings (5GHz a/n)
Enable Wireless Router Radio
Message 4 of 13
theTechman05
Aspirant

I don't think I ever touched the advanced settings for turning my 5.4 off. I just used the pull down and said "300mbs on 2.4" and apply. if you have it all on 2.4 the channel select should be greyed out and unselectable.

Maybe they've changed this on the 3700?

Mine in advanced just says enable wireless and/or broadcast name.
Message 5 of 13
Ryster
Aspirant

Devices generally are not one frequency or the other. Most of my devices support both frequencies, in fact I find the performance to be much better on the 5Ghz than on the 2.4Ghz. So I have most things connected to the 5Ghz band. The 2.4Ghz one is just used for devices that do not show the 5Ghz network.

Also why would you WANT to turn it off? The two wireless networks are entirely separate and affect each other in no way whatsoever. The two use completely separate antenna.
Message 6 of 13
theTechman05
Aspirant

Ryster wrote:

Also why would you WANT to turn it off? The two wireless networks are entirely separate and affect each other in no way whatsoever. The two use completely separate antenna.

Security risk and power usage. Its one less thing to worry about.
Message 7 of 13
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

theTechman05 wrote:
Security risk and power usage. Its one less thing to worry about.

And it frees up a channel for other users which is good for everyone.
Message 8 of 13
dataghost
Aspirant

Turned it off because I dont have any 5Ghz devices anyway.

First thing I noticed is that the router runs cooler. It wasnt very warm before but now there is virtually no heat being generated at all.
Message 9 of 13
mookiedog
Tutor

I measured the power on the DGND3700 as:

10.6W ADSL active, 2.4G radio on, 5G radio on, 2 gigE ports active
9.4W ADSL active, 2.4G radio on, 5G radio off, 2 gigE ports active

So if you don't need the 5G radio, you save 1.2W.
Message 10 of 13
theTechman05
Aspirant

I end up using the 5.4 since my neighborhood street is flooded with routers that probably haven't had updates since power up. I went from 300Mbs to 8 from the channels filling up.

In the 5ghz channel I fluctuate from 54mbs to 108 (that's 2 floors away through plaster walls ,so I assume i get much more improvement closer)
Message 11 of 13
terpsych
Aspirant

I discovered when I have both 5ghz and 2,4ghz enabled, 2,4ghz is slowed down to 65mbit/s. When I turn off 5ghz then 2,4ghz is a lot faster.

How to fix it and have both channels with full speed?

terpsych
Message 12 of 13
Cypherdude
Aspirant

Ryster wrote:
Devices generally are not one frequency or the other. Most of my devices support both frequencies, in fact I find the performance to be much better on the 5Ghz than on the 2.4Ghz. So I have most things connected to the 5Ghz band. The 2.4Ghz one is just used for devices that do not show the 5Ghz network.

I recently set up a Netgear WNDR3700v2 router. I gave the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks different names. Both of my (relatively) new Lenovo laptops only use the 2.4 GHz network and do not list the 5 GHz wireless network. I just turned off the 5 GHz transmitter and tested one laptop. The speed is the same. There is no difference in speed.

The reason why I turned it off is because I have read many customer reviews stating their WNDR3700vx burns out after several months of use. I hope shutting the 5 GHz transmitter off will increase the longevity of my router. The only wireless devices I have are my laptops.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E