× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I use my R6250 as an Access Point?

TheDaveAbides
Aspirant

Should I use my R6250 as an Access Point?

I've got 2 routers(R6250 and Airport Extreme-n) and a house with wired ethernet, for media streamers (Apple TV). The wires and cable modem feed into the basement, but I would like my R6250 to be on the main floor rather than the basement because it has the superior antennas.

When I had the AE-n in the basement, with its wireless turned off, and the R6250 on the main floor, I could not airplay to the wired Apple TV. But I did not have the R6250 set up as an Access point. So it looked like Cable modem->AE-n(wifi off)->R6250 (not as an Access point)

When I had R6250 downstairs, I could airplay, but the signal wasnt great on other levels of the house.  

Currently I have the R6250 downstairs with both 2.4 and 5g networks. The AE-n is wired on the main floor extending the 2.4 network, and only ac devices are connected the the 5g network.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheDaveAbides
Aspirant

Re: Should I use my R6250 as an Access Point?

Thanks.  I have it figured out, and it's working.  Yes, I do know the R6250 can airplay, it was working when the R6250 was the first router in the chain.

I think in my earlier setup, setting up as access point would've been needed, as the R6250 was set up behind the AE.  AE wasn't set up to do wifi, and although our iDevices could see the Apple TV, it would not airplay.

What I did was make sure the R6250 was the first router after the modem, but I realized that didn't have to be in the basement, where the modem is.  I sent the signal straight upstairs to the main floor to the R6250.  And since I have 2 Ethernet jacks, I sent output through the 2nd jack back to the basement AE, which is set up as a bridge.  I need 5 wired connections, but I didn't think ahead an only got a 4-port ethernet switch.  So that's why I need the AE.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TheDaveAbides,

You should be able to use AirPlay without setting the R6250 as an access point as pointed out on this link. Please make sure that the media source (AirPlay capable iOS device) is on the same network as the Apple TV or the device that you want to send the media to. It is possible that they were not on the same network when you had the R6250 on the main floor.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 3
TheDaveAbides
Aspirant

Thanks.  I have it figured out, and it's working.  Yes, I do know the R6250 can airplay, it was working when the R6250 was the first router in the chain.

I think in my earlier setup, setting up as access point would've been needed, as the R6250 was set up behind the AE.  AE wasn't set up to do wifi, and although our iDevices could see the Apple TV, it would not airplay.

What I did was make sure the R6250 was the first router after the modem, but I realized that didn't have to be in the basement, where the modem is.  I sent the signal straight upstairs to the main floor to the R6250.  And since I have 2 Ethernet jacks, I sent output through the 2nd jack back to the basement AE, which is set up as a bridge.  I need 5 wired connections, but I didn't think ahead an only got a 4-port ethernet switch.  So that's why I need the AE.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7