Signal Strength Poor

DezaraexHorror
Follower

Signal Strength Poor

Hello,

I have a WNR2000v2 wireless router.
I have recently just set it up with my new computer. I had another computer hooked up to the router, and its signal strength was Great, and I was able to bring it anywhere in the house. But that computer is now gone, due to it breaking.
I now have this computer, and it only has two bars, sometimes 1, and it's connection is either poor or fair.
I cannot go anywhere besides upstairs (Where the router is) I really need to go downstairs, with my computer...
Everytime I try to use it downstairs, it has no internet connection, and either disconnects.

I am not sure what to do... Someone please help.
Thanks 😛
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Signal Strength Poor

Usually laptopo can have poor antenna over desktop which may had small chubby antenna

If vertically signal is weak then try router it's on side and see
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 4
Joe_
Apprentice

If your last computer that was broken was also a laptop, then maybe your new laptop simply has a weaker wifi radio.

The suggestion by June to try placing the router vertically is a good one since it may provide better coverage in a multi-storeyed house. I would add though that if that works, you may want to contrive/innovate some sort of stand or prop that would ensure the side it is lying on has a good air space. The idea here is to provide as good heat dissipation for the router as possible.

If the above doesn't work, you could consider buying a USB dongle receiver with better reception for your laptop. 🙂
Message 3 of 4
Joe_
Apprentice

Joe_ wrote:
The suggestion by June to try placing the router vertically is a good one since it may provide better coverage in a multi-storeyed house.

Sorry, I mean't horizontally. 😮
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E