× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Signal Strengths

CromsMT
Aspirant

Signal Strengths

Signal drops to almost nothing. Knocks out Netflix. Just started and we note Traffic meter shows a normal month of dowlads is 440 and then last month it was 71,647 and yesterday was 680 just for the day? Uploads went from 60 to 4,046 lst month? 

I must reboot the system each morning to get a decent signal.  During the day it is great on the wireless up over 40 on the speed test.

Any ideas of wha is going on?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Signal Strengths

I suggest that you try to change channel first on the router by accessing the admin page.

Or if you happen to have the NETGEAR Genie installed, you may see the best available channel used.

As an example, I can use channel 4 since there's only 1 connected at it. You might be wondering channels 12 and 13, these channels are only available in some countries.

But if you're in the US, your available channels to be used will be from 1-11.

Once you have seen the best channel to use, you may go ahead and change the channel manually by clicking the button to modify the settings.

channels.png

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @CromsMT

What's the exact model number and version of your NETGEAR device?

Which signal you're connecting to (2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz)?

How far is the wireless device from the wireless router?

Did you try changing channel on the router?

How about relocating the router?

Make sure that there are no other device that may cause interference such as cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, thich walls and the likes.

When did the problem start?

Do you have the latest firmware version installed on the router?

Have you tried factory reset?

Looking forward to your response.

Message 2 of 8
CromsMT
Aspirant

Thank you  for your response.  Answers are:

WNDR4300-100NAS

Signal 2.4GHz

Up one floor, got this model as was recommended for larger house.

Have the router on auto

Just relocated the router today by adding a longer cable of 7 feet.

No other device near router or tv or tablet.

Problem started last week.

Have the latest firmware -V1.0.2.80

Did not try a factory reset.

John

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suggest that you try to change channel first on the router by accessing the admin page.

Or if you happen to have the NETGEAR Genie installed, you may see the best available channel used.

As an example, I can use channel 4 since there's only 1 connected at it. You might be wondering channels 12 and 13, these channels are only available in some countries.

But if you're in the US, your available channels to be used will be from 1-11.

Once you have seen the best channel to use, you may go ahead and change the channel manually by clicking the button to modify the settings.

channels.png

Message 4 of 8
CromsMT
Aspirant

Unable to get the chart on "WiFi Channel", so I changed the channel and am keeping track of which ones I use.  I also forgot my "TV Ears" are broadcast on 2.4, so I moved the transmitter away from the TV maybe that will help.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for that information.

Keep us updated.

Message 6 of 8
CromsMT
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.  It appears the suggestions to change channels worked.  While I have not run very many streaming videos since making the change, all is good, no more dropped or programs.  I also moved the router 5 ft from the modem and computer just to make sure.  

John

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's awesome!

Thank you for letting us know.

Have a great day!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies