Highlighted
Aspirant

Signal drops causing reset of router

Currently I am having to reset my router 1-3 times a day. My internet is through Charter and there are noise issues in the line that causes the router to drop the connection with the modem causing me to have to reset. Charter suggested it sees this often with some routers and there may be certain boxes that need checked or unchecked. Can you please assist? Resetting this so often is not good. The modem if needed is a SMC Networks model D3G1604W-033-NA. Windows 8. cable modem with Charter Internet. Router Model WNDR4300.  I have updated all firmware

I moved to my location 1 year ago and currently have the same internet provider so the only difference is location. I can only assume there is some merit to Charter's noise claim and hope there is something that can be done internally to assist with the signal dropping out

Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Master

Re: Signal drops causing reset of router

Is the ISP device a router / modem combo? If it is, have you enabled bridge mode ion the device?

This looks to be a DOCSIS modem, and  if there is significant noise on the line, as you ISP claims, to drop you Internet Connection, It could  be a modem / cable issue. Maybe the modems upstream and downstream levels  are off, causing the issue. I would open a trouble ticket with your ISP first, have them check your modem levels, and then go from there..

Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is a separate Netgear router from a SMC modem.  I do not believe bridge mode has been done.  The ISP has been here 6 times.  I can run a Cat5 from the modem and I will have internet.  It appears when a noise issue happens the router loses everything.  The wired from the router also stops wourking until reset.  They have many tests.  Also, over half of my office building has the same provider and they do not have the same problem.  Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Master

I'm not sure what noise you are referring to: signal to noise on the SMC cable modem or wireless noise on a specific band.

You should have someone verify that the SMC is in bridge mode. Two routers in router mode can cause a lot if issues.. Your Netgear router should always be cionnecto to the modem.  You connection should look lilke this:

SMCmodem<------>netgear router<---> devices connected to router

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

1 year ago at a different location I had the exact setup with no issues.

Message 5 of 11
Highlighted

I recommend you call Charter back.

The only way a router will ever cause 'Noise on the line' is if it's a combo modem/router unit. (When an ISP refers to 'Noise on the line', that's usually when they've checked the SNR on the coax line, and have verified that it's not within spec)

If you're losing connectivity, there is 1 of 2 issues at play here:

1.) Your modem is losing sync, either due to a bad modem, bad wiring in your house/area, or an over saturated node. Too many splitters on a line can cause this sort of thing, if your modem is too far 'down the line' of the splitters. Make sure, if you're running splitters, that your modem gets either it's own dedicated line, or is on one of the first initial legs of the split.  If you've verified this is the case, you'll likely have to have a truck roll. 

2.) Your router is disconnecting from the modem for some reason. Could be a short in a network cable, bad power where it's plugged in, or simply a router going bad. Lots of possible issues that are hard to diagnose when the issue is sporatic. Does it happen at any set time frame?

Of the 2 above issues, I highly doubt #2 is the issue at play, here. 

Above all else, if a customer support tech ever tells you that your modem is causing 'noise on the line'. Immediately ask for another rep, because the one that told you that, is either lying, lazy, or is completely uninformed. In any case, you don't want that person trying to help you.

~ Shadowlore
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks Shadow for the time and answers.  Sorry it takes a few of these to get all of the facts out. 

They are not saying my router is causing noise, they are saying that noise is in the lines, sometimes more than others.  What seems to be happening is when this happens and there is a flicker in the service (told this happens often) the router is not regaining that connection with the modem.  Out of the 200 times or so I have had to power down the router, 100% of the time the connection is restored with internet.  There have been 5-6 different techs here with no luck other than seeing noise in the line outside.  They have fixed most of that but I still have the issues.

I have no splitters at all and there are probably a minimum of 10 other offices in this building with none of these problems.  Probably tough to diagnose so I thought I would see if there was a box that needed to be checked or not checked to take off the list. 

Thanks again for all time you all are giving me.

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted

No worries at all, I don't ALWAYS have the time to put in out here like I used to, years ago, but I do what I can Smiley Happy

Based on your username, I assume you're here in the STL area, too Smiley Wink

Personally, I'd raise 10 kinds of alarms to get them to fix the noise issue, first. As it makes it hard to diagnose internal issues, when they can't even get their issues straightened out.

However, moving on.. if they've got you connected via an SMC gateway, are you on their business class service? That's generally where I've seen the SMC's come into play.

~ Shadowlore
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Go Cardinals!  They say they have the noise issue fixed.  I think with all of the carriers there is an acceptible range of noise.  Impossible to have line perfect.  There was a major noise issue but once fixed I still have the same.  This is a business account.  The SMC modem is newer and installed on the 2nd or 3rd trip here.  No change with the different modem.  After my last call Charter tech on phone said I may want to look into the setting on the Netgear and see if it is there.  They would send someone out, but not sure it would turn something up the last one did not. 

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted

*SIGH* a few years ago, and I would have put you into contact with the 'Charter Direct' group on DSLReports... but that group was dissolved with the new CEO.

To be honest, I'd recommend against any of Charter's SMC models. They're a massive pain, and I've had no luck with them at all, but I HAVE seen a large number of the Ubee modems that seem to work flawlessly.

Thought I'd also give you a link to someone having a very similar problem as you.... and switching the Charter supplied device fixed it.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29439513-HSI-Business-sub-drops-on-daily-basis-again-modem-wifi-led...

~ Shadowlore
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the input.  The previous modem was not an SMC I do not believe.  No changes to the outcome.  The equipment worked perfectly, then I moved down the street and started dropping.  Frustrating.  The worse is I have zero other choices here.  I can do this or ATT and 6 whole mb for twice the cost.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements