Slow LAN speeds ?

Sander71
Novice

Slow LAN speeds ?

Hi,

When copying files within the LAN, between a directly connected PC and a Wireless Laptop, I only get average speeds of about 4MB/sec, ain't that a little slow ?

In the "Wireless Network" I have these settings :
Wireless Network(2.4GHz b/g/n)
Mode: Up to 130Mbps
WPA2-PSK [AES]

QOS is enabled

Model = WNDR3700v2

Any idea why I always have these slow lan speeds please ? :confused:
Message 1 of 14
Sander71
Novice

Re: Slow LAN speeds ?

noone ?

Please noone suffered from the same symptoms and has an idea how it got resolved ?
Message 2 of 14
fordem
Mentor

Just accept the fact - wireless data transfers are going to be slow.

The advertised wireless speeds are theoretical maximums, 802.11b has an advertised speed of 11 mbps and a practical maximum of perhaps 6 mbps, 802.11g has an advertised speed of 54 mbps and a pratical maximum of perhaps 25 mbps.

In the above cases, both standards utilize a single data stream, so the advertised speed and the theoretical maximum are one and the same - 802.11n needs to be dealt with a little differently as it uses multiple data streams, up to four are permitted, but more than two are rare - which would gaive a theoretical maximum of 150 mbs, compared to an advertised speed of 300 mbps and a practical maximum of - wait for it - 40 mbps, which translates roughly to 4MB/s, or just about what you're seeing.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 3 of 14
Sander71
Novice

This is the biggest pile of lies ever read on a forum, and I even suspect you're a Neatgear employee. In that case, shame. Why do you pay review sites and magazines them to fake "show" us 180MB/s benchmarks results then ?:rolleyes:
Message 4 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

forum is user to user only.. your attitude will be not tolerated. if you can not stay neutral in this forum, you will be and or go other forum instead.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 14
Simon0
Novice

I believe you must set router to 300Mbps in order to achieve better speeds.

Client adapters also play a VERY IMPORTANT role in getting good speeds.

On a side-note, I believe there are openwrt modded drivers/firmwares that will allow for more channels in both bands and MUCH increased power levels, however those may not be legal in your area and even openwrt don't recommend people using.

My only issue is the lack of stability in the firmware. I just wish Netgear would make their firmwares run longer without the need to reboot. Their programmers really should need a good scolding or a pay raise by their management. 😛

In the end, nothing beats cheap cat5e cables for speed & reliability :rolleyes:
Message 6 of 14
madhatter
Apprentice

Sander71 wrote:
This is the biggest pile of lies ever read on a forum, and I even suspect you're a Neatgear employee. In that case, shame. Why do you pay review sites and magazines them to fake "show" us 180MB/s benchmarks results then ?:rolleyes:

Not sure I understand what data you are transferring or where your data is going to. I'd think that if you are doing HDD > HDD transfer then your bottleneck would be the speed of your NAS device or the speed of your HDD.

Remember that when you are communicating you will have about 10% - 20% actual speed loss (not data rate speed) just in the ACK/NACK packet turnaround.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 7 of 14
Tank_Killer
Tutor

Simon0 wrote:

In the end, nothing beats cheap cat5e cables for speed & reliability :rolleyes:

amen!!!!:D
Message 8 of 14
fordem
Mentor

Sander71 wrote:

Sander - would you care to show us links to these "faked" 180MB/s benchmarks, because I've never seen them - and - as June as pointed out, I'm not a Netgear employee, merely a user.

I suspect you're confusing MBytes/sec with mbits/sec - 180MB/s would work out to approximately 1800mbits/sec, there's no wireless that will deliver that, (unless you're considering optical fibre to be wireless), and in fact, very few wired will - gigabit ethernet can't, and there are not that many 10gigabit installations to be seen.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 9 of 14
Joe_
Apprentice

fordem wrote:
Sander - would you care to show us links to these "faked" 180MB/s benchmarks, because I've never seen them - and - as June as pointed out, I'm not a Netgear employee, merely a user.

I suspect you're confusing MBytes/sec with mbits/sec - 180MB/s would work out to approximately 1800mbits/sec, there's no wireless that will deliver that, (unless you're considering optical fibre to be wireless), and in fact, very few wired will - gigabit ethernet can't, and there are not that many 10gigabit installations to be seen.

I think it's best to totally ignore this poster (sander or whatever).

Regardless of whether he/she is confusing bits and bytes and getting things all mixed up isn't the significant thing here.

I totally agree with June that this person's attitude and baseless accusations against you (fordem) as evidenced by the following:

"This is the biggest pile of lies ever read on a forum, and I even suspect you're a Neatgear employee. In that case, shame."

[COLOR="Black"]must not[/COLOR] be tolerated in this, or any other forum, for that matter.

Exchanging info, ideas, etc. is one thing, but bad attitude and disrespect is a definite no-no! :mad:
Message 10 of 14
Tank_Killer
Tutor

wow, this thread got weird.
Message 11 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

people walk way and ignore the OP

no need for anymore steaming thread.

enjoy other thread that is worth answering 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Joe_ wrote:
I think it's best to totally ignore this poster (sander or whatever).

While you are entitled to an opinion, please don’t give out ‘moderating’ advice, moderators are here for that purpose. If you or anyone else is unhappy with someone else’s postings for whatever reason then there’s the option with every post to report the person / post (the small red triangle). Comments posted in a thread from someone other than a moderator rarely help.

As for Fordem / Sander71, well Fordem is quite capable of defending his own input.
Message 13 of 14
Joe_
Apprentice

Mars Mug,

You are totally correct... I apologise.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements