× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow WiFi WNDR3700

tbardes
Aspirant

Slow WiFi WNDR3700

So, I've had this N600 router for a while and also have an EX6150v2 AC1200 WiFi Range Extender connected to it.

Today I upgraded my ISP service from 100MBPS to 400MBPS and am getting about 250MBPS on my laptop wired directly to the router so I'm good with that.  Unfortunately, the best I've been able to do via WiFi is 54MBPS on the 5GHz band and about 30MBPS on the 2.4GHz band.  The extender drops those numbers down significantly.

We have quite a few devices that are hooked up at any given time (3 iPhones plus other things) but I would have thought with an "up to 300MBPS" rating,  I wouldn't be seeing such low numbers.  We're not all streaming simultaneously or anything like that.  The non-extender WiFi numbers above are at just a few feet from the router.  

Do I just need a newer router?    

Model: WNDR3700v1|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow WiFi WNDR3700

I'd look at one of the triband orbi setups. With your router being in the basement on 1 side of the home, you're limiting your coverage. the orbis would allow you to keep the router there and place 1 or 2 satellites as needed throughout the home. 

You'd be best off if you could find a way to centrally locate the router. You might be find with just 1 router if you could centrally locate it. 

only thing to keep in mind is the limiting factor of wireless is usually the device you're using. Most phones/tablets/pc's only have a 1x1 or 2x2 antenna setup. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Those "up to" ratings are just that. Ratings that are half pointless and is an industry wide issue. If you look at speedtesting from when the WNDR3700 was released, under optimal conditions (key word) it would hit 70-90mbps. distance and interference dropped those speeds significantly. Its also an 11 year old device. When it was released, those speeds were pretty great at the time and it was a top ranked router. Again, 11 years ago. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-r...

It might be time to upgrade to something more recently released. 

I'd also check the review sites for actual speedtesting 

Message 2 of 6
tbardes
Aspirant

Thanks Plemans.  Any recommendations for what to look for capability-wise, considering I could have 3 iPhones, 2 laptops, 2 smart TVs connected simultaneously via WiFi plus a hardwired laptop, worst case scenario?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

how big is your home and what materials are the interior walls?

how many levels? 

Depending on the size, I'm a fan of mesh networks like the triband orbi's (not the dual band ones)

but if it isn't to large, a solid gigabit AC router could work as well. 

And sadly it also comes to budget. Playing worse case I can point to some expensive routers 🙂 

Message 4 of 6
tbardes
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast reply!   Here are some details:

Home is about 2200 Square Feet.  Modem and router are located in the basement/cellar due to the fact that that is where my office is and that is the one wired connection.  Wireless is needed on first and second floors.  Interior walls are wood and wallboard - no metal studs or anything like that.  There is no gaming but we do stream Netflix, etc. accross a number of devices on the first and second floors.

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune but I'm also not looking for the bare minimum.  Ideally, I would like to take advantage of as much of my 400MBPS from my ISP as possible both wired and WiFi.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I'd look at one of the triband orbi setups. With your router being in the basement on 1 side of the home, you're limiting your coverage. the orbis would allow you to keep the router there and place 1 or 2 satellites as needed throughout the home. 

You'd be best off if you could find a way to centrally locate the router. You might be find with just 1 router if you could centrally locate it. 

only thing to keep in mind is the limiting factor of wireless is usually the device you're using. Most phones/tablets/pc's only have a 1x1 or 2x2 antenna setup. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7