× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Wired Connection AC1200 R6230

pkliot
Aspirant

Slow Wired Connection AC1200 R6230

I recently had AT&T fiber installed and I now have roughly 980 mbps coming from my AT&T modem if I directly connect my computer to the modem. If I connect the AT&T modem to my R3230 router and connect my computer to the Ethernet port on the router I'm only getting around 345 mbps, the port on the netgear router is supposed to be gig speed. Any idea why I'm not getting full speed?  My cables are all cat 6

Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Re: Slow Wired Connection AC1200 R6230

@pkliot wrote:

If I connect the AT&T modem to my R3230 router and connect my computer to the Ethernet port on the router I'm only getting around 345 mbps, the port on the netgear router is supposed to be gig speed. Any idea why I'm not getting full speed? 

Did you reset and reconfigure your R6230 after you installed the new Internet service?

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

do you have the R6230 in AP mode? 

Or the R6230's ip address put into the att gateway's DMZ? 

Otherwise you're in a double nat

Message 3 of 7

@plemans wrote:

do you have the R6230 in AP mode? 

Or the R6230's ip address put into the att gateway's DMZ? 

Otherwise you're in a double nat

Do all AT&T modems do that?

No option for "bridge mode"?

Dontcha hate these ISPs?

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

ATT pretty much forces all its users to have a gateway that's not just a modem. A bit sad you can't just get a modem from them. 

Message 5 of 7

Sad, and a bloody nuisance.

BT does that in the UK, but with its VDSL service I can use my own modem, although they are getting harder to find now that Netgear has stopped making them.

That's what you get when you have to rely on old technology.

The good thing about fibre and the use of the Optical Network Terminator (ONT) is that they don't seem to come in these omnibus devices.

Maybe @pkliot should confirm that AT&T has forced them down that route.

Message 6 of 7
pkliot
Aspirant

Thank you for your response,

I didn't put it in AP mode, I'll put the IP into the DMZ when I get back to work and see if that fixes the problem.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7