• 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Slow and intermittent wireless connections

I have a Netgear WNDR 4300 wireless router. It has been working fine but in the last few days I have started to get very intermittent and very slow internet through my wireless connections.

Today I did the following:

1. I plugged my laptop directly into my Comcast modem and my speeds and connectivity were excellent.

2. I upgraded the firmware on my router to the latest v1.0.2.78. Still having problem.s

3. I plugged my laptop into my wireless router with an ethernet cable. I have pretty good connection. I drop a packet or two here or there but am getting <1 ms response times when I ping the gateway and about 20-40 ms responses when I ping google.com.

4. When I go back to my wireless connection on any device in my house I am getting responses of anywhere from 60-300+ ms response times from both my gateway and google.com. I also drop 10-20% of my packets.

Something is obviously not working correctly with my wireless portion of the router and I'm not sure what it is. I've looked on the internet and am not finding any ideas for things I can adjust or tweak to make this better. I have rebooted the router many times today and in the last few days but that does not make it better.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help here?

Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Slow and intermittent wireless connections

Can you take your router to another location to test it? It does not need an Internet connection if you have two devices that you can transfer data between, or better still use a benchmarking tool like Netstress / iPerf / Tamosoft Throughput Test. You could use one of these benchmarking tools at your current location then compare with the same type of transfer at a different location.

I suspect you might be seeing the effects of wireless interference from non-networking wireless devices such as wireless video senders, baby monitors, wireless security cameras etc.

You don’t say if both bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) are affected?
Highlighted
Aspirant

I took my router to another room in the house and got the same results. In the other room I was at least 20-30 feet away from any other electronic device. I don't have any wireless video senders, baby monitors, security cameras, or anything else (that I know of) that would be sending off wireless signals that would be causing interference.
The issue happens on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections on the router.
With it unplugged from the Comcast modem in the other room I tried to just ping the default gateway and am getting responses (on both connections) of up to 300 ms just to talk to the default gateway a few feet away. I tried configuring the router to use different wireless channels and have been using "WifiInfoView" to check other channels being used in my neighborhood. I configured both connections to use channels not in use by any other network and go the same results.
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The kind of interference that I am thinking of may well affect the whole house, by another location I really meant miles away.

Channel use should not be the issue unless you have a great many active networks nearby, for example I have over 26 networks active around my house and I don’t have any issues at all.
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having similar problems with my WNDR4300. I had Comcast 105 Mbps service at our old home using a rented Comcast modem. I did regular speedtests from my laptop via wifi and was getting thruput of about 80 Mbps. We recently moved about 8 miles away from our old home and I ordered Comcast 105 Mbps service. But this time, I bought a Netgear CM500 modem rather than renting one from Comcast. I'm getting 25 Mbps consistently now. When I direct connect to the modem, I got 90 Mbps. Direct connect to the router gave me 80 Mbps. Wireless gives 25 Mbps. I was 5 feet from the WNDR4300 and have no known interference in the house. I tried channels 1, 6, 11 and even 9 but it makes no difference. My conclusion is that the equipment is CAPABLE of 80 Mpbs based on the old home. It appears that the modem is not the issue because it runs at 90 Mbps when direct connected. What are my options to (a) determine the root cause of the slowness and (b) correct it?
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Install netgear genie on your computer. This will help you check which channel other wireless networks are using and change your channel to any available one.

http://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have CenturyLink DSL plugged directly into my router and in the last week we keep losing internet in whole house/all devices. When I go to Netgear Genie- goes through long-winded process and ultimately won't accept my password for the router (factory given, never changed). Then I simply power-off router, turn on and problem goes away. Unfortunately, this happens 4-5 times/day- so something's up. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Try to reset and reconfigure the router.
Message 8 of 10
Aspirant

How do you reset and reconfigure the router? I've been having the same issue with my 4300 losing internet connection 4-5 times a day.:mad:
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Press the reset button at the back of the router for 30 secs until the power turns amber.
Message 10 of 10