Slow connection speed

amonera
Aspirant

Slow connection speed

Hi everyone,

I am having problems of low speed in the connection and real. I have two Netgear routers 3700 and 4300 (they are quite similar) and in both I am facing the same wireless slow down.

I have in my apartment a 100Mbits Up and Down and using Speednet from a wired computer connected to my 3700 I get arround 100-110Mbps quite good, but getting a laptop a Zbook i7 with ssd hardisk, i only get 15Mbps...  I turned on and off the Qos settings, I changed the channels, selected auto, but still no result. I have a very low speed in wireless.

The other day tired of that i decided to add an wired access point to the set, a very cheap D-link access point (i think I paid like 20 dolars two years ago) and when i do the speed test i can get speed of 98-97Mbps. I really dont understand what is happening here, but i think maybe an incompatibility with the wireless card (intel centrino.. something).

Today at my office where I have the 4300 i did same test and i am having the same problem with a differente intel wireless card. I see and the connection is 72mpbs on the 2.4ghz channel and 54mbps on the 5.8Ghz. I am located 1 meter away of the router and in this case there is almost nobody around me.

Would it be possible that Netgear and intel wireless card are not good friends? Should i upgrade the router to OpenWRT to see if there is a problem of the router software?

Any idea?   I would appreciate any help Smiley Happy  Thanks guys.

Message 1 of 8
doraemon
Prodigy

Re: Slow connection speed

are the firmwares updated on those routers?

could be due to interference. which band are you connecting to on the 3700? 2.4 or 5?

i guess if updating to the latest fw did not give the desired result then try the opensource firmware

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 8
amonera
Aspirant

I am running the latest firmware in both devices. I am trying to reach a solution before changing to open-source but right now the only idea I have is opening and checking the temperature of the wireless chips in case that they are overheating, I think I will try both during the weekend.

Thanks
Message 3 of 8
doraemon
Prodigy

that was a good option, checking the temp.

never thought of checking the temp.

for me, if it doesn't work the way it should and after i've done so much troubleshooting i would just give up and get a new one. Smiley Very Happy

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 8
amonera
Aspirant

I am running the latest firmware: as today is 1.0.2.7.8  (i have a wndr3700v4)

I have check the interference and try to use the main channel.. 1 6 13, and the others in between and I have done the same for the 5.8ghz channel. in addition I can see all the channels in my phone by using "Wireles Scanner" app and see the usage of the channels but they are not very close and the signal of my router in my apartment is clearly much much highet than others.

Right now I am talking with support without much help and seems that they will be replacing my router.  Me and them are running out of Ideas. I am almost sure that is a temperature issue but seems that they will replace by another one with probably the same failure.

I have a wndr4300 at the office and I am experiencing the same problem bandwidth limitation in the wireless.. and this make me very dissapointed with this routers.

I think it will be the last netgear I will purchase.

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Which exact firmware you're using? The latest fw for the device is 1.0.2.80 and the firmware before that is 1.0.2.78.

Also, do you have the updated wireless driver for the Zbook?

What's the exact speed you get when you connect to 2.4Ghz?

What's the exact speed you get when you connect to 5Ghz?

Do you have WMM enabled on the router?

This setting is under Advanced > Setup > QoS

Looking forward to your response.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 8
amonera
Aspirant

Hi, the speed is 54 always with any device for both bands 2.4 and 5.
I have tested both fw versions and all possible settings. Netgear is making me do all kinds of tests. I believe is a compatibility problem because my laptop with latest drives connect to 300mbps to dlink and tp.link routers with no problems at all.

Last night I switched off the router to let it cool down but nothing, I switched all in this morning at the same time and the speed of the connection still 54mbps. The surprising thing is that I realize that connect to 300mps but after one second goes to 54mbps and stay there. I was 30 can away if the router, in the same table. I think the only test I can do is install open wrt to see if it changes but I don't want to screw up my warranty
Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly send me a copy of the configuration file using dropbox or any file sharing site to replicate this.

The configuration file is same as the back up file of the router.

Once you have downloaded the file, upload it to a sharing site site and PM me the link.

Looking forward to your response.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements