Aspirant

Slow connection with WIRED connection using Netgear N600 WNDR 3400 v3

Connection from ISP (Comcast) confirmed to be 105 MBS, and this is what I get if I connect modem directly to laptop.

When connected through the router, both wired and wifi connections hover between 12-25 mbs

Firmware is most current version.

Why is my router a speed bottleneck? What can be done? The key point seems to be that even a WIRED ethernet connection from the router is equally slow.

Thanks for any insights

Message 1 of 10
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Slow connection with WIRED connection using Netgear N600 WNDR 3400 v3

Hello @aussiedog,

Welcome to the community!

The Internet port of the router is 10/100Mbps, however, the speed that your getting shouldn't be that low.

What is the speed that you're getting when you connect wired to the router?

After upgrading the firmware, did you try to reset the router? If not, kindly reset for 20 seconds and reconfigure the unit.

Once reconfigured, see if there's a difference. By the way, do you remember what firmware version you were using previously before upgrading?

Let us know what happens.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 10
Aspirant

Thanks Elaine,

1. If I connect the modem directly to the computer (wired, bypassing the router) I get ~ 115-120 mbs

2. If I use the same ethernet cable to connect the router to the computer, speed varies from 20-80 mbs

3. If I connect via wifi in the same room, there is about ~ 20% dropoff in speed from the wired connection

My biggest concern is #2--with a wired connection with the router in the circuit, it can slow the speed by as much as 80%.

Let me also clarify that I did not upgrade the firmware--I checked, but it said I am running the most current version and so no updating occured.

I have reset the router multilple times and also tried restoring to factory presets, all without any change.

David

PS: By saying that the "Internet port of the router is 10/100Mbps", do you mean that it can't handle speeds faster than 100 Mbps? I though the documentation that came with it said it could handle speeds up to 300 Mbps (??)

Message 3 of 10
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@aussiedog Wireless will be always slower than the wired connection.

The Internet port cannot exceed more than 100Mbps. As expected, having around 80Mbps sounds good already. You wouldn't really be able to ge the maximized speed due to protocol overhead.

300Mbps is for the wireless connection and that can be achieved by having a compatible wireless N adapter that supports same speed.

The latest firmware version available for your router is 1.0.0.48. If you have that version then that's good.

To improve the wireless connection on your wireless PC, check for interferences such as cordless phones, microwave ovens, brick walls, etc.

Also try to adjust the MTU and see if this would help you get a little faster than what you have right now.

Access the admin page of the router then go to Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup then set your MTU to 1400. Hit Apply and observe your connection.

Let us know what happens.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 10
Aspirant

Thanks Elaine for your response.

Let me try to state my principal concern as clearly as possible, because I don't think this is coming through. 

Why is a wired connection from modem to computer ~115 Mbps while a WIRED connection through the router is often ~ 20 Mbps, and rarely, at the fastest, about 80 Mbps?

I'm not concerned about the dropoff between wired and wireless, which I agree is expected.  What I'm trying to troubleshoot is why a WIRED connection through the router would be such a bottleneck.  Something seems to be wrong with the router, and I'd prefer to find a fix rather than have to buy another router, as this is relatively new.

Message 5 of 10
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@aussiedog That could be a software or a hardware problem if you can't get a stable speed of atleast 80Mbps.

What's the current firmware version of your router? If you have the latest installed, try upgrading the firmware to the latest version which is 1.0.0.48.

After upgrading the firmware, reset the router for 20 seconds and then reconfigure it.

If you still get the same speed, send me a copy of your configuration file by saving a backup copy of your settings. By the way, make sure that you use the default login settings.

Also, send me a copy of your router logs.

Looking forward to your response.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 10
Aspirant

Thank you Elaine

When I login, it tells me the firmware version is 1.0.0.46_1.0.45

This seems to be an older version than what you describe in your note, but when I check for updates, it tells me it is running the most current version. Is there a way to force an update?

Message 7 of 10
Aspirant

OK, when I "check the internet for the latest firmware" it tells me I am running the most current version, but I was able to search for and find the version you mentioned, download it, and browse to it to update the firmware to this version.

Now my wired download speed went from 18 Mbps to 95 Mbps!

That seems to be the solution--thank you so much!

Message 8 of 10
Aspirant

Looks like I spoke too soon.

After briefly at 95 Mbps after the firmware upgrade, the wired connection is now repeatedly back at 18 -20 Mbps. Resetting the rounter makes no difference. It is not a cable issue, as it is the same cable that carried the 115 Mbps signal when connected directly to the modem.

Any ideas short of replacing a faulty router? (Not sure how long these are an warranty).

Message 9 of 10
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@aussiedog That's a bummer! Try the 30-30-30 reset. See the steps below.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.
3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

If the same thing happens, send me a copy of your configuration file. The configuration file is the same as backup settings. Also, if you could post a screen grab of your speed when you're connected directly to the modem and when directly connected to the router.

Looking forward to your response.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements