Re: Slow network access at start up

DenisD
Aspirant

Slow network access at start up

I setup my new WNDR3700V3 yesterday. My 4-year-old Dell desktop with Windows 7 64 has a wired connection to the router. When I start it up, the network icon in the system tray has a small silvery blue circle in the lower half for 70 – 80 seconds. Then it changes to normal and I can access the Internet.

Everything else seems to be working well. Is there any way I can speed up the startup?
Message 1 of 7
Jack_
Aspirant

DenisD wrote:
I setup my new WNDR3700V3 yesterday.
  • What router did you had in use before?
  • Any network changes ?
  • Any software firewalls in action?
  • Check what exact differences in network settings where introduced by replacing your old router with this WNDR3700v3.
Message 2 of 7
DenisD
Aspirant

This is my first router. I'm a rookie. My PC was connected directly to the cable modem. I want the Wi-Fi for my phone and tablet.

I'm using the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. My PC is set up in a public network.

I ran the Netgear setup CD. IIRC, the setup CD downloaded the latest versions from the Internet. I made no other network changes.

I let the setup CD install the Netgear Genie program. I notice it runs at startup. Wondering if that could be the problem?
Message 3 of 7
jlewter
Guide

Can you use the internet while the "busy" overlay is still over the network icon.

Some users in the past (windows 7 forums) have reported that this is common. I have never spotted it, but software can sometimes take a while to load on startup and the network icon may show that while other things are loading.

60 seconds is not a lot of time to play with, but, You could try running services.msc and looking to see what service is showing as "starting", that will likely be the offender.
Message 4 of 7
madhatter
Apprentice

jlewter wrote:
Can you use the internet while the "busy" overlay is still over the network icon.

Some users in the past (windows 7 forums) have reported that this is common. I have never spotted it, but software can sometimes take a while to load on startup and the network icon may show that while other things are loading.

60 seconds is not a lot of time to play with, but, You could try running services.msc and looking to see what service is showing as "starting", that will likely be the offender.

Sure, as long as you have internet access, you can use it.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 5 of 7
DenisD
Aspirant

Services.msc or IE don't show until after the blue circle is gone. All services are "started".

But I've started up my computer twice today and no blue circle! The network icon is normal a few seconds after it appears. Maybe it's magically fixed!
Message 6 of 7
jlewter
Guide

madhatter wrote:
Sure, as long as you have internet access, you can use it.

Microsoft has had a lot of dud notifications in the past, and where it may state there is no connectivity you could fire up a browser and all would be well. The question may seem odd, but if your car has a speedometer that is broken then it doesnt stop the car from actually moving (well, it might in todays modern electronic cars, but you get the idea).
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements