× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wfi speed

Brandon_P
Tutor

Slow wfi speed

I have a WNDR3400v3 router and CMD31T modem.  My xfinity service is 100 mbps, however, I only get 20-25 mbps on wireless in the same room.  If I connect ethernet cable to the router I can get ~60 mbps.  I was considering getting new hardware, but I'm not sure it would make a difference.  If I were to get new equipment should I get a new router or modem or both?  The router should still be good up to 600 mbps although I'm not sure why I'm getting the slow speeds that I am.  Thank you.

Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Slow wfi speed

Wifi speeds are down to the wifi clients you are using. You don't say what they are. Or the firmware version on your router.

Your WNDR3400v3 router is old technology. The original dates back to 2010.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN on the WNDR3400v3 support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. It is slower than the LAN port on your modem. That may be restricting your speeds.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

Wifi speeds are down to the wifi clients you are using. You don't say what they are. Or the firmware version on your router.

Your WNDR3400v3 router is old technology. The original dates back to 2010.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN on the WNDR3400v3 support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. It is slower than the LAN port on your modem. That may be restricting your speeds.

Message 2 of 6
Brandon_P
Tutor

Michael, thank you for your response.  We have some rokus, smart phones and laptops.  There are 3 people in the house.  Firmware Version is V1.0.1.24_1.0.67 which is the latest according to netgear.  I figured it was probably the router which was causing the slow speeds.  I'm not sure what 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX means.  I did attempt to connect to the lan port of the modem to test speed however my laptop wasn't able to connect to the internet that way.  Thank you.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 3 of 6

@Brandon_P wrote:

I'm not sure what 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX means. 

It means that your router has a top speed of network 100 Mbps. New kit, and your modem, does 1000 Mbps.

The label may say 100 Mbps, but real world experience will reduce that. 

The bottom line is that your router is obsolete. I have no idea if it is likely to reduce your wifi speed, but it would be a good place to start. The modem should be OK.

Message 4 of 6
Brandon_P
Tutor

I replaced my WNDR3400 with a R6400.  Now I'm getting much faster speed, at least according to test on nighthawk app.  I didn't replace the modem.

Message 5 of 6

@Brandon_P wrote:

I didn't replace the modem.

No need. Your original was capable enough of handling your Internet speed and handled the link to the router.

Modems are pretty basic devices in my experience. They either work or don't work. The router does the hard work.

You have also shown the value of having a separate router and modem. You can just upgrade the bit that is the weak link.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7