Slow wifi speed for R61000

Sys2matik
Initiate

Slow wifi speed for R61000

I need help please!!!! I'm about ready to throw this dam thing in the trash.

I have comcast running at 155Mbps and when hardwired......WOW does that fly with the new Netgear modem.

Now I went and got a R6100 Router to replace a n600 because my n600 burnned out after a few years of use.

Well, now my wifi with the R6100 is only runny at 23.11mpbs which is no wear near the 155mpbs. Now I did notice the Router is only showing the 2.4ghz not the 5g. my wifi card on my laptop is 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter. I have no idea what to try to get this movng faster. I have tried a few things like changing the channels doing the mtu size and updated the firmware. Any help would be great.

Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: Slow wifi speed for R61000

A 1x1 11b/g/n adapter isn't gonna be able to do much better than 23.11 Mbps. It'll maybe do 30 Mbps a few feet away from the router. You can squeeze out a wee bit more speed if you enable short preamble on the R6100 under the Advanced Wireless Settings. But, really, your best bet is to buy a new adapter for your laptop.

Message 2 of 4
Sys2matik
Initiate

What type would you sugjest to get?

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Any 802.11ac adapter should be able to hit 155 Mbps but you might want to get one with support for 2x2 streams. You will have to decide on the form factor (i.e. USB or PCI).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements