× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slowing speeds with my Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600

stanrubin
Follower

Slowing speeds with my Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600

Hello, I have a Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600 (16x4) WiFi Cable Modem Router Combo (C6250) DOCSIS 3.0 (comcast approved), purchased, April 2018. It has been in use with comcast cable over 9 months with consistent download at 150-170 Mbps and over 200 for 8 mo. (when I found that comcast bumped me up in a promotion). Recently the download speed really varies, between 5 to 100+ down. There have been no changes to router, at first, many times, unplugging or resetting for a minute, got things back to 190-220. Then issue repeats. Same thing when dealing with comcast support. They do basically the same, ping, reset... repeat.
Do these burn out slowly, what is its average service life? Before I buy again, are there suggestions as to test/fix mine or buy again?

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Slowing speeds with my Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600

Many suggestions/thoughts on yours.

1. How are you testing? Make sure its hardwired. We usually try to get the hardwired speeds solid and then worry about wifi after that.

2. Do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? This helps show connections strength for download and upload and can help point out line errors.

3. Signal quality makes a big difference. Try removing any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators, kinked coax, or extended runs.

4. Also check for old/corroded connections or loose connectors. 

5. I usually recommend people move their modem to right where the coax enters the house. This should be the best signal and reduce that chance that its something within the wiring of the house causing issues. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Slowing speeds with my Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600

Many suggestions/thoughts on yours.

1. How are you testing? Make sure its hardwired. We usually try to get the hardwired speeds solid and then worry about wifi after that.

2. Do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? This helps show connections strength for download and upload and can help point out line errors.

3. Signal quality makes a big difference. Try removing any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators, kinked coax, or extended runs.

4. Also check for old/corroded connections or loose connectors. 

5. I usually recommend people move their modem to right where the coax enters the house. This should be the best signal and reduce that chance that its something within the wiring of the house causing issues. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7