Re: Storing Security Camera images on Router ReadyShare USB_Storage device

NYCPaull
Guide

Storing Security Camera images on Router ReadyShare USB_Storage device

Is it possible to use a WNDR 4700 ReadySHARE ftp or http address for the storage of images from an IP security camera that is on the local network. The internal memory in my Panasonic BL-C230A is limited. I would like to use the camera's ftp or HTTP buffer/transfer ability to send images to a ReadySHARE USB_Storage device. I've used many address configurations but none seem to work. Is this even possible?

Message 1 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @NYCPaull,

Welcome to the community!

How do you access the ReadyShare?

You should be able to map the USB using "\\Readyshare\USB name" (without quotes).

If your Panasonic BL device allows you to specify the path then you should be able to use the ReadyShare just like the example below.

The ReadyShare was mapped under MyComputer and have specified on the browser that all downloads will be save into my ReadyShare.

readyshare.png

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

If your OS is Windows, tried freeware iSPY? Easy to use with many features.

I am running iSPY as well as Synology NAS surveillance station with two cameras.

(one indoor, one outdoor). 

Message 3 of 6
NYCPaull
Guide

I appreciate your quick response but my question involves the specific FTP and HTTP transfer functions allowed in the camera's software.  I've attached the Panasonic software window where an FTP address is requested as a place to send camera frames.  I'm assuming that just as a security camera can send images to a commercial site via FTP I should be able to send images via FTP to a device on my local network.   Is my logic wrong or am I missing something.   I'm assuming that  ftp://readyshare/usb_storage should be the address I use in the camera software to send images.   I have used a commercial on-line company for a month and the images did get there.  With the amount of data that can be stored on a router memory it seems logical that all that video could be stored locally via the local network.  I'm surprised this isn't a feature and selling point for Netgear routers.  Of course, since my router is on 24/7 it can record images all the time.   panasonic page.jpg

Message 4 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NYCPaull Have you tried using the syntax that can be found under the ReadyShare tab from the admin page of the router?

For local access it should be ftp://readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares.

Acces the admin page of the router in order to verify the exact FTP address.

Let me know what happens.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 6
NYCPaull
Guide

Hi ElaineM,

I've tried just about every ftp and http address I could think of including your suggestions.   I will keep trying.  I'm beginning to think there is some setting that is wrong or the camera is an older model.   However, it does seem that a router's "always on" and large memory capacity is the obvious place to hold a day or two of security camera images.    Thanks for your interest.   I may be back with some more questions or a story of success. 

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements