Highlighted
Aspirant

Successful Time Machine config?

Pulled the trigger on an R6250 after seeing "Time Machine support" was added in the latest release notes, and received it 2 days ago.

Finally configured everything on it, but I'm still having trouble setting up Time Machine to backup to it. I cannot login using "admin" as username and my current GUI password via AFP, and trying to login as Guest results in an error that the sparsebundle could not be created.

Has anybody successfully setup Time Machine to backup to a USB drive on their R6250, and preferably, if at all possible, to a drive that already has Time Machine backups? I'd love to move the USB drive I currently use to the network.

Hopefully somebody has figured this out, thanks!

Message 1 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Successful Time Machine config?

Forgot to mention, running OS X 10.10.3 on a MacBook Pro (non-Retina). Drive is a USB 3.0 3TB Seagate drive (AC powered).
Message 2 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Did you try to reset the router after the firmware update? Can you try to use a different USB drive?
Message 3 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did reset after updating, even though the update was the first thing I did setting up the new router. I finally got it backing up after much trial and error by using a different USB drive and manually creating the sparsebundle file while the drive was connected directly to my computer. The AFP login issue should really be investigated and hopefully fixed, as the only way to 'login' is to use the Guest account, which isn't available when trying to restore from the recovery partition. When trying to restore from a network share from the recovery menu, Time Machine needs a username and password, because using 'guest' as the username with a blank password does not work. Thanks for replying!
Message 4 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Use the username and password set on your computer and see if that works.
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Meaning my OS X account username and password? If so, much like using "admin" and the GUI password, it doesn't work either.
Message 6 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Really hate to bump this up after so long, but, has anybody been able to full restore (meaning from the Recovery Console, not individual files) a Time Machine backup from a R6250 or similar?

Today I needed to do a restore after my OSX install became corrupted, and the backup from the drive connected to the R6250 was useless, neither trying to select it as a network destination nor connecting it directly via USB worked.

I just want to know if the Time Machine feature on this router does indeed work to both backup AND restore, or if I should just give up on it.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 22
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @miguelfp1,

When you try to restore, is there an error message? What's the error message? The back up and restore on Time Machine should work. You may want to refer on this link in restoring files from a Time Machine back up. Also, can you give us more details as to what is happening when you try to restore.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi @ElaineM, thanks for replying.

When I try to connect to the Time Machine share from the OS X Recovery Partition (to do a full system restore, as opposed to individual files while booted up to full OS X), it asks for username and password authentication. I have tried using "admin" as the username with my password, and also "Guest" and "guest" with a blank password; none of these work.

I also tried to connect the drive directly via USB to try a restore, but in this case the backup wasn't even found.

Message 9 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

IMG_20150824_222914.jpgThis is the authentication prompt that appears when I try to connect. As mentioned, I also tried "admin" and "guest" as usernames, without being able to successfully connect.

Message 10 of 22
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@miguelfp1 Is there any way that you might have set a password on your Seagate HD? Or is there a place where you can set it?

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

@ElaineM Not that I know of. The drive was previously used connected directly to my computer, has two partitions; a 700 GB HFS+ (non-encrypted) one for Time Machine, and a 1.5 TB ExFAT one for regular data storage. The Backup partition has also been setup to allow unauthenticated access in the router interface.

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 02.10.32.png

Message 12 of 22
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @miguelfp1,

You have mentioned that you are now using a different USB drive, which means that it might be asking for the password that you have set with your previous encrypted Time Machine backup.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi @DexterJB, good afternoon.

First off, thanks for replying!

It seems ot me that it's not actually asking to authenticate for the backup (it only asks for a password in the case of an encrypted container/disk image), but rather, to authenticate the user for the Time Machine network share (AFP, apparently).

Message 14 of 22
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @miguelfp1,

Thank you for clarifying that. May I know if you were able to get past that prompt and complete the restore?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 15 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello again @DexterJB,

I still haven't been able to succesfully make a system restore from the networked Time Machine share.

Message 16 of 22
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @miguelfp1,

May I know if you have setup a password for your previous Time Machine backup using the first USB drive?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 17 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

I haven't set a password for Time Machine or backup partition, neither on the portable HDD nor on the backup set currently on the router-connected HDD.

Message 18 of 22
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @miguelfp1,

1. Do you have the HDD connected to the router when you were attempting to do the restore?

2. Have you tried by passing the router and connecting the HDD directly to the computer then do the restore?

If you have the HDD connected to the router while you perform a restore, the username and password that it is asking for is the routers admin username and password. Try changing it then do the restore.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 19 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

@DexterJB,

To answer both your questions:

1) the HDD is obviously connected to the router, regular Time Machine backing up from within OS X works well. The issue is specifically while restoring.

2) Time Machine backups aren't found by the restore utility if the hard drive is directly connected to the computer via USB, which I suppose is an effect that Time Machine backups over networks are made to a SparseBundle image and not directly as files and directories in the selected partition.

Thanks for replying!

Message 20 of 22
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @miguelfp1,

May I know if you have tried changing the router's admin password and using that when it prompts you for the username and password to continue with the restore?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi @DexterJB, good afternoon.

I've changed the admin password from the default, but no username/password combination successfully authenticates for the restore.

Thanks!

Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements